Researchers of this family:
Descendants of George Hinchey
(aka Hincher & Henshaw)
(He raised Catherine Washington and David George Washington)
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE1 HINCHEY was born Abt. 1815 in Orange County, North Carolina, and died Aug 1898 in Wilkes County, North Carolina. He married MARY W. CRYSEL on 04 Apr 1839 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, daughter of JEREMIAH CRYSEL and MARY BRUCE. She was born Aug 1816 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, and died Aft. 1900.
Maryís parents moved from Culpeper County, Virginia, about 1794-95 to Wilkes County, North Carolina. George Hinchey moved to Wilkes County before 1840.
A copy of George Hinchey's will is on file. If his wife was deceased when he died, he directed his estate be divided between his nephew, Richard Crysel, and David Washington, "the boy that I raised." George Hinchey signed the will with an "X."
George Hinchey was a farmer. Further information about George Hinchey can be found at: http://www.rawbw.com/~hinshaw/cgi-bin/id?2305.
Children of GEORGE HINCHEY and MARY CRYSEL are:
i. RICHARD HINCHEY, b. 1843, Wilkes County, North Carolina; d. 27 May 1862.
2. ii. CATHERINE WASHINGTON, b. Abt. 1854, North Carolina; Adopted child.
3. iii. DAVID GEORGE WASHINGTON, b. Jul 1874, North Carolina; d. Bet. 1906 - 1907; Adopted child.
Generation No. 2
2. Catherine2 WASHINGTON (GEORGE1 HINCHEY); Adopted Child; was born Abt. 1854 in North Carolina. In the 1860 census, she is 6 years old and living with the George and Mary Hincher family in Wilkes County, North Carolina. In the 1870 census, she is 15 years old and listed as a Domestic Servant who cannot read or write, living in the same Hincher household in Wilkes County, North Carolina. In the 1880 census, she is 20 years old and living with the John and Sarah Greagery family in Yadkin County, North Carolina, and "works on farm." (In the 1880 census, George and Mary Hinchey are now raising a David Washington.) I have not located Catherine after the 1880 census.
3. DAVID GEORGE3 WASHINGTON (GEORGE1 HINCHEY) was born Jul 1874 in North Carolina, and died Bet. 1906 - 1907. He married MATILDA VICTORIA FAW 16 Apr 1895, daughter of UNKNOWN and NANCY FAW. She was born 24 Aug 1875 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, and died 04 Nov 1949 in City Memorial Hospital, Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina.
I have found the names David and George used interchangably. The Hincheys called him David. As an adult, he was known as George.
In the 1900 census, Georgeís occupation was Tobacco Worker. It says he can read, write, speak English, and rents a home with wife Victoria, and son, Clarence.
In the 1904-07 Winston-Salem directories, David is listed as a foreman at the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. In the 1908 Winston-Salem directory, Victoria is listed as "widow of Geo."
The only other known Washington was a note found in the family Bible, presumably written by David, reading: "Esther Washington was born the 1 day of April 1890." I have not located this person.
POSSIBLE BIOLOGICAL LINEAGE:
David's biological mother could be Catherine Washington. With this theory, she had David out of wedlock and gave him her last name. Davidís biological father could be a Hooper, as male-to-male DNA testing matches our family to the Hooper surname, and not the Washington surname.
Catherine's biological parents could be George and Sally Washington shown in the 1850 Wilkes County census. There are no other Washingtons in censuses prior to 1850 in that area of North Carolina. I have not been able to determine the origins of George and Sally.
ONLY Child of DAVID WASHINGTON and MATILDA FAW is:
i. CLARENCE MARVIN1 WASHINGTON, b. Jul 1899, North Carolina; d. 31 Dec 1982, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Generation No. 3
1. CLARENCE MARVIN3 WASHINGTON (DAVID GEORGE2, GEORGE1 HINCHEY) was born Jul 1899 in North Carolina, and died 31 Dec 1982 in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. He married NAOMI BECK Bef. 12 Sep 1918 in North Carolina, daughter of JAMES BECK and ALICE RICHARDSON. She was born 06 Jun 1900 in Davie County, North Carolina, and died 19 Jan 1990 in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.