Goodspeed's  Biographical and Historical
Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas
S through T

A. W. Scott,  (CHART) surveyor of Poinsett County, Ark., is now serving his third term. He was born in Adams County, Ind., in 1852, and is the eldest of the family of five children of Hamilton and Jane (French) Scott, who were born, respectively, in Ohio and Indiana. The father removed to the latter State at an early day, and was married there in 1851. After opening up a good farm and residing on it until 1879, he came to Poinsett County and settled on land in West Prairie Township. This land he improved and resided on until his death, in 1888, his wife having passed from life in 1859. He married again in 1861, this wife dying in 1886. The children of the first union are as follows: Thaddeus W. died in Poinsett County in 1886 at the age of thirty-three years; L. W. died in 1886, aged thirty years; H. W. died in 1888, aged thirty-one years; James B. died in 1887, aged eighteen years; and A. W., our subject. The latter received his education in the schools of Anderson, Ind., and after leaving school he was engaged in teaching for some years. After coming to Poinsett County, in 1879, he began farming, purchasing an unimproved farm in West Prairie Township, and is now the owner of some 800 acres of land. He has always been an active politician, and votes the Democratic ticket, and was elected by that party to his present position, the duties of which he has filled to the satisfaction of all concerned. Besides this, he has filled the office of constable of his township, and has been school director in his district. In his present official capacity he has noticed a decided improvement in the agricultural districts, and the country is being settled up and land rapidly improved. He was married in Madison County, Ind., in 1876, to Miss Margaret Boxley, a native of Hamilton County, her death occurring in Madison County, in 1877, after having borne a daughter, Grace L.

A. C. Shaver,  (CHART) justice of the peace, postmaster and farmer, Bay Village, Ark. Born in Poinsett County (now Cross County) on the eighth of October, 1844, Mr. Shaver has ever since resided here, and is accounted one of the representative men of the county. He is the son of W. A. and Matilda (Stone) Shaver. natives, respectively, of Missouri and Tennessee. The parents were early settlers of this section, coming here about 1826, and the father held the office of justice of the peace for a number of years. He was Democratic in his political principles, and he and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They reared to maturity seven children: A. C.; C. R., a farmer living in Cross County, Ark.; Fanny [p.607] died in 1880, and was the wife of J. B. Henshaw, a mechanic; Josephine died in 1883, and was the wife of Henry McAden, a farmer of Poinsett County; Jerline, wife of James Copeland, a farmer of Cross County, Ark.; T. J. engaged in general mechanics in Bay Village, and Rebecca, wife of Rev. J. I. Maynord. The father of these children died on the 19th of April, 1875, and the mother in September, 1869. A. C. Shaver. like most of the youths of the vicinity, passed his boyhood days in assisting on the farm and in attending the common schools, although he received the principal part of his education by his own individual efforts, and in 1862 enlisted in Col. McGee's regiment, Arkansas Cavalry. He was wounded at Helena on the 4th of July, 1864, and was never able to enter service after that. He left with the rank of orderly sergeant. At the age of twenty-five he started out for himself by marrying, in 1869, a Miss Georgia Brooks, and by her became the father of five interesting children: Willie W., Sallie A., M. G., Myrtie, and Olive W., all living. Since his marriage Mr. Shaver has followed agricultural pursuits, cotton-ginning, merchandising, etc., and in all has been successful. He has three times been elected to the office of justice of the peace, twice in Cross County and once in Poinsett County, and is now holding that position and discharging the duties of the same in a very able and efficient manner. He was appointed postmaster in 1883, and is still holding that position. He is the owner of 175 acres of land, 120 in Poinsett County and fifty-five acres in Cross County, with fifty acres under cultivation. He lives on the old homestead, just over the line in Cross County, and is one of the stirring, industrious farmers of the County. He and his wife and two oldest children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he contributes liberally, as he does to all public enterprises. In politics he votes with the
 Democratic party.

M. D. Simmons & Co.  (CHART), druggists of Harrisburg, Ark. Among the more recent acquisitions to the business interests of the town is the establishment of which Mr. Simmons is a member, which has secured a reputation such as one might think belonged to an older established house. Their store was opened in February, 1882, and, after renting a building for some years, they, in 1888, put up their present substantial frame business house, into which they moved in the spring of that year. The senior member of the firm, Mr. Simmons, was born in Marshall County, Miss., in 1859, and is the eldest in a family of three children born to John and Victoria E. (Douglas) Simmons, the former a native of Tennessee, and the latter of Mississippi. John Simmons removed to Cross County, Ark., in 1860, and located near Vanndale, and in 1871 located in Wittsburg, Ark., where the mother died, in 1872. The father was a Mason and a member of the K. of H. He now makes his home in Vanndale. M. D. Simmons received his early education in the public and high schools of Wittsburg, and after attaining a suitable age he began the study of pharmacy under a physician of that place, and was prescription clerk in his store for some years. Mr. Simmons is not a very active politician, but has served as a member of the town council. He has belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for a number of years, is an active worker for the cause of Christianity, and has been superintendent of the Sunday-school for a number of years. He was married in Clarksville, Tenn., on the 18th of June, 1884, to Miss Hardin Duncan, a native of that State, and by her is the father of two children: Bessie May and Louise Kendrick. Mrs. Simmons is a daughter of John and Mary Elizabeth (Johnson) Duncan, the former a native of Scotland, and the latter of Tennessee. John Duncan removed to Tennessee at an early day, and settled in Nashville in 1844, where he followed the occupation of painting. He is still living, and resides with Mrs. Simmons, but the mother died in Little Rock, Ark., in 1884, where they were residing at the time.

J. Logan Smith  (CHART), junior member of the firm of Sparks & Co., Harrisburg, Ark. Born on the 5th of February, 1837, at Old Bolivar, Poinsett County, Ark., Mr. Smith is one of the old settlers of the county and a much respected citizen of the same. He is the son of William and Sarah (Clark) Smith, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina, [p.608] respectively. William Smith and wife came to Arkansas in 1831, when the country was very unsettled, and began improving wild land. He held the position of county treasurer in 1844, and was a prominent and enterprising citizen. He and wife were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Their family consisted of thirteen children, all of whom are now deceased except J. Logan and J. W., who is a minister in the Christian Church, and resides in Craighead County, Ark. Mrs. Sarah Smith's father was one of the early settlers of Greene County, Ark., and built the first watermill in that county. J. Logan Smith's facilities for an education in youth were not of the best, and what schooling he did receive was in the old court-house at Old Bolivar, a log structure about 20×28 feet in dimension, with fire-place, puncheon benches with pin legs, and the writing desks were puncheons supported by pins driven in the wall. Mr. Smith can distinctly remember the original chimney was stick and clay, which were afterward supplanted by brick. The school was of course a subscription school. Early settlers frequently built their houses without nails, and the first sawed lumber was manufactured by hand and with a whip-saw. Mr. Smith was reared on a farm, and spent some time as a brick maker. At the age of twenty-two he enlisted in Company F, Sixth Arkansas Infantry, and was in the battles of Shiloh and Perryville, Ky., where he was wounded and taken prisoner. At the end of thirty days he was exchanged, and took part in the battle of Stone River, where he was again wounded, and after lying in the hospital at Ringgold, Ga., until February, 1863, joined the army again. He was in the battle of Chickamauga, and at that engagement received two wounds. He was also at Missionary Ridge, Tenn., then at Ringgold Gap, and after this at Resaca, Kenesaw (Ga.), Smithfield (N. C.), and surrendered at Greensboro (N. C.) He then came to Poinsett County, Ark., tilled the soil, and, in February, 1866, was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda Stanford, daughter of William and Matilda (Hall) Stanford, natives of Tennessee and early settlers of Arkansas. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith were born the following children: Lockie L., wife of Thomas C. Ainsworth, a farmer of Poinsett County; Rutha V., keeps house for her father; Roger Williams, Joseph T. and Logan S. (twins), who live at home. Mrs. Smith died on the 18th of October, 1881, and was a worthy and much esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, an active Sunday-school and church worker, a loving wife and mother, whose memory will remain green in the hearts of her many relatives and friends long after her body has moldered to dust.

For none return from that quiet shore,
Who crossed with the boatman cold and pale.
We hear the dip of the golden oar,
We watch for a gleam of the snowy sail;
But, for they have passed from our yearning hearts,
They have crossed the stream, they are gone for aye.
We may not sunder the vale apart
That hides from our vision the gates of day;
We only know that their bark no more
Will sail with ours o'er life's stormy sea;
Yet somewhere, I know, on that unseen shore,
They watch, and wait, and beckon to me.

In June, 1865, Mr. Smith, at the request of the people, was appointed by Gov. Murphy, then military governor, to fill the position of assessor and collector for his county, and in the following year was elected to fill the same office, which he did until the reconstruction, in 1868. He then followed farming until 1874, when he was elected sheriff, and re-elected in 1876. He again returned to the farm, and there remained until 1881, when he embarked in the mercantile business, continuing at the same until 1884, when he again became a tiller of the soil. In 1888 he became a member of the above mentioned firm, but during his entire life he has followed farming. He is the owner of five farms of over 1,000 acres of land, 200 acres under cultivation. He takes much interest in stock raising and has Jersey and Short-horn cattle, and Berkshire hogs. Mr. Smith became a member of Poinsett Lodge No. 184, A. F. & A. M., and is a member of the Chapter and Council, Harrisburg; is also a member of Lodge No. 74, K. and L. of H. Council No. 29 was organized in 1887. He is a Democrat in his political views.

J.J. Smith  (CHART) is a successful farmer of the county, and was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in 1847, being the third of eleven children born to J. C. and Susan (Johnson) Smith, who were also Tennesseeans, the former being a gunsmith by trade. In 1850 he settled in Poinsett County, Ark., and made the town of Bolivar his home until the county seat was changed to Harrisburg, when he moved to the latter place, this being in the year 1857. In 1863 he settled on an excellent farm in Craighead County, near Jonesboro, and here worked at his trade until his death, in 1885, at the age of sixty-six years. He was a Democrat, and held the office of deputy sheriff of the county for many years, and in 1860 was elected county treasurer, winning, during his official career, the respect and esteem of all who knew him. His worthy wife died in 1883. J. J. Smith was educated in the subscription schools of Bolivar and Harrisburg, and at the age of twenty years started out in life for himself, and is now one of the well-to-do agriculturists of the county. His first purchase of land was a timber tract embracing 100 acres, and this he commenced clearing, and added to until he now owns 560 acres, with over 200 acres under cultivation, his being one of the largest farms in the county. He is extensively engaged. in stock dealing, and his farm is devoted principally to raising cotton and corn. He is a Democrat, and as such was elected, in 1880, to the office of treasurer of Poinsett County. He has always been a patron of education, and socially is a member of the K. of H. Having been a resident of this county from earliest youth, he has witnessed the gradual growth and improvement, and has aided largely in bringing about this desirable result. He is a thoroughly self-made and self-reliant man, and his opinions on all subjects are acknowledged to be sound and unbiased. He and wife, whose maiden name was Mary Davidson, a native of Harrisburg, and whom he married in 1867, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Pleasant Valley, and are the parents of the following family: Hattie, Lucy, Dovie, Emisley, Johnny, Jennie, Dexter, Augustus, Grover C. and Elizabeth, who died in infancy. Mrs. Smith is a daughter of James and Harriet (Lokey) Davidson, who were Tennesseeans, the father a farmer by occupation, and an early settler of Poinsett County, Ark. He was a sheriff of this county for many years, and was one of the most energetic and enterprising men of the county. He engaged in merchandising in Harrisburg, in 1861, and later became a soldier in the Confederate army, dying in 1862, in Cross County. His wife survived him some years, her death taking place in 1872.

W. A. Smith  (CHART) has been a resident of Poinsett County, Ark., all his life, and his example of industry, and earnest and sincere endeavors to succeed in life, especially in the occupation of farming, are well worth imitation. He was born in 1860, and of his parents' five children he is the second. In boyhood, he attended the district schools near his home, and finished his education in Harrisburg, under the tutelage of Prof. J. P. Leake. He was taught the rudiments of farm work by his father, who was a successful agriculturist, and after leaving school, he engaged in this business, and was married in Poinsett County, in 1884, to Miss Mary Etta Wright, a native of Greenfield Township, and a daughter of J. L. and Jane (Ishmael) Wright, who were early pioneers of Poinsett County. Mr. Smith first bought a forty acre timber tract, but now has some thirty-two acres under cultivation, on which are good buildings, fences and orchards. He is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, while his wife belonged to the Christian Church. She died quite recently, having borne two children: Charles O. and an infant. Being a native of the county, Mr. Smith has naturally taken a deep interest in its welfare, and is an active and public-spirited citizen. His parents, William C. and Margaret (Ainsworth) Smith, were born in Poinsett County, and in 1853, the father began opening up a farm in Bolivar Township, and here his widow is residing at the present time. His death occurred on the 16th of November, 1876, having been an enterprising resident and an active member of the Democratic party all his life. William Smith, the paternal grandfather, was an early pioneer of this section in 1832, and was one of the prominent agriculturists of Bolivar Township. He was county treasurer for a number of years.

 L. E. Stancell  (CHART), deputy sheriff of Poinsett County, Ark., was born in Northampton County, N. C., in 1847, being the fourth of seven children born to William E. and Caroline E. (Long) Stancell, their births having occurred in North Carolina and Virginia, respectively. The father was a planter and merchant, and in 1854 came to Arkansas, and settled near the present town of Harrisburg, where he entered a timber tract, which he commenced improving, but only lived to conduct the work for two years, his death occurring in the month of October, 1856. His wife survived him until 1869, when she, too, was called to her long home. After the death of his father, L. E. Stancell took the management of the home farm on his own shoulders, and although he was compelled to work hard, he managed to acquire a fair English education, in the district schools of the county. In January, 1869, he was married to Miss Lura A. Malone, who was born in Tennessee, and died in 1870, and, after remaining a widower until 1881, Mr. Stancell wedded Miss Mittie O. Mitchell, also of Tennessee, and a daughter of M. A. Mitchell and wife, nee Hindman, natives of Tennessee, who came to Poinsett County, Ark., in 1856. The mother died in 1879, but the father is still living, and resides with Mr. Stancell. From 1872 to 1880 Mr. Stancell was engaged in the grocery business, but at the latter date sold out, and has since given his attention to farming, but from 1888 to January, 1889, also conducted a grocery. This business he then gave up to assume the duties of sheriff. Socially, he is a member of Poinsett Lodge No. 184, of the A. F. & A. M., and of White Hall Lodge No. 77, of the I. O. O. F. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church, and are the parents of two children: Lola Elizabeth and Lela G. Mr. Stancell is a supporter of Democratic principles, and has held the office of justice of the peace for six years. In 1864 Mr. Stancell enlisted in Capt. W. G. Godfrey's company, and was afterward with Price on his raid through Missouri, but surrendered in May, 1865, and returned to Poinsett County, where, as stated above, he has since made his home.

Thomas B. Steele  (CHART), attorney, Harrisburg, Ark. Of the many prominent names that make up the strength of the Arkansas bar is that of Thomas B. Steele, who is a true type of the progressive, yet conservative, and cultured Arkansas man. He was born at Batesville, Independence County, Ark., on the 18th of April, 1855, and is one of seven children born to Rev. John M. and Narcissa (Brookfield) Steele, and grandson of Rev. Isaac Brookfield, who was originally from New Jersey, and was one of the pioneer preachers of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He, with Rev. John M. Steele, was the founder of a great many churches of that denomination on Crowley's Ridge, their territory extending from Chalk Bluff to Helena. Rev. John M. Steele was born in Hardeman County, N. C., on the 2d of March, 1810, and remained in his native State until 1836, when he moved to Arkansas, where, for a number of years, he spent his time as an itinerant preacher. He was without a permanent home until about 1843, when he took for his second wife Miss Narcissa Brookfield, a history of whose parents appears in the church history of the counties traversed by Crowley's Ridge. The seven children born to Rev. John M. Steele and wife are as follows: Mrs. Nancy J. Harris, residing in Bolivar Township; Rev. J. R., an elder in the Methodist Episcopal Church, Texas; Mrs. Mary E. Dudley, who died in 1874, leaving three children; Mrs. S. Ann Keck, in Bolivar Township; Mrs. Martha C. Bettis; Thomas B. and James M., Jr., physician and surgeon at Weiner, Ark. Thomas B. Steele began in early life to assist on the farm and to attend the schools of Poinsett County. He attended the high school at Harrisburg, and finished in Arkansas College, at Batesville, in 1875. After this he began the study of Blackstone, under the tutelage of J. C. Brookfield, was admitted to the bar in 1878, and licensed to practice in the circuit and all inferior courts of the State. He at once located at Harrisburg, and has since been successfully devoting himself to the practice of his profession. On the 18th of September, 1887, he abandoned his single state, and was united in marriage to Miss Dora E. Guyer, a daughter of B. Y. and Mary A. (Bomar) Guyer, natives of New York and Tennessee, and of English and French descent, respectively. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Steele occurred in the Lone Star State, where her parents were living at that time. One child has been born to this union, Archie W., whose birth occurred on the 31st of August, 1888. Mr. Steele is the owner of about four acres in the oldest part of Harrisburg, and one business block on Main Street. In addition to this, he is the owner of 400 acres of timber land in Poinsett and Craighead Counties, with about fifteen acres under cultivation. He votes with the Democratic party, and is quite active in polities, having made the canvass for representative in 1888, but was defeated by L. J. Collins. He takes a prominent part in all matters relating to education or for the public good.

Dr. James M. Steele  (CHART), physician and surgeon, Weiner, Ark. Dr. Steele is a son of the well-known pioneer, Rev. John M. Steele, and is the youngest in a family of seven children. He was born in Batesville, Independence County, Ark., on the 25th of February, 1861, and his brothers and sisters are named as follows: Mrs. Jane Harris, wife of W. C. Harris, a farmer near Harrisburg; John R., a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Meridian, Tex.; Mrs. Mary Dudley, wife of N. P. Dudley, and who died in June, 1876; Mrs. Ann Keck, wife of T. W. Keck, a farmer, living in Poinsett County; Mrs. Kate Battis, wife of J. W. Battis, a farmer near Harrisburg, and Thomas B. Steele, an attorney and counselor at law, at Harrisburg. Dr. James M. Steele's parents, Rev. J. M. and Narcissa (Brookfield) Steele, were among the earliest settlers of Crowley's Ridge. The father was born near Raleigh, N. C., in 1810, and received his education in that State and in Tennessee, having removed with his father to that State in 1824. He began life as a millwright, and in 1829 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Seit, a native of Tennessee. Two children were the fruits of this union: A. C., a farmer, who died from injuries received in the war, in 1865, leaving a wife and two children, and William M., who died in 1881, leaving a family of five children. Rev. Steele lost his wife in Saline County, Ark., in 1832. He had moved there in 1830, and a short time after his wife's death was converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He immediately entered the ministry of the Arkansas Methodist Episcopal Conference, and began his notable life-work. His labors for the first four or five years were in Northwest and Southwest Arkansas, and after that time on Crowley's Ridge, in St. Francis County. He was there married, in 1848, to Miss Narcissa Brookfield, daughter of Rev. Isaac and Nancy Brookfield, and the same year he was sent by the conference to the Indian Territory, where he remained four years. He then returned to Batesville, Ark., and after this time his field was Crowley's Ridge, from Chalk Bluff to Helena and the Black River country. After starting  over fifty churches, this devout and truly Christian man closed his eyes to the scenes of this world in 1881. Dr. James M. Steele attended the schools of Harrisburg, then Washington high school, in Independence County, and also attended one term at Vanderbilt University, at Nashville, Tenn. He began the study of medicine in 1876, under Dr. Beecher, and then spent several seasons as a drug clerk. In 1884 and 1885 he took a medical course in Memphis Hospital College, and in the last mentioned year began practicing at Weiner, Poinsett County, Ark., where he has built up a large and paying practice.  He was married, on the 14th of March, 1886, to Miss Emma E. Mayer, daughter of Michael and Mary (Klaege) Mayer, natives of Germany. To the Doctor and wife was born one child, Austin G., now a bright boy of six months. They lost one child, Edgar M., at the age of three months. Dr. Steele owns eighty acres of land, twenty acres under cultivation, and in connection with his practice is engaged in farming and stock raising. He votes with the Democratic party, but is conservative. He is a member of the school board, and one of the leading men of the county. Mrs. Steele is a member of the Catholic Church.

T. A. Stone  (CHART), a general merchant of Harrisburg, Ark., carries a full line of hats, caps, clothing, boots and shoes, groceries, etc., and although he has only been established in business here since November, 1883, he has built up a paying patronage. He is a native born resident of the county, his birth occurring in 1846, and he is the second of a family of seven children born to Robert H. and Emily (Shaver) Stone, the former a native of Summer County, Tenn., and the latter of Phillips (now Poinsett) County, Ark. Robert H. Stone came to the State of Arkansas when a young man of eighteen years (in 1839), and was the fourth county clerk, elected in 1846, holding the position nearly fourteen years. He was also sheriff of the county in 1845-46, and at the time of his death, in 1859, he was filling the position of county clerk. His estimable wife survived him until 1870, when she, too, passed to her long home. T. A. Stone was reared to farm life, and received a fair education in the schools of his native county. He was married here in 1868, to Miss Mary Frances Goodwin, a native of Alabama, and a daughter of Peterson and Mary (Burt) Goodwin, also of that State, who came to Arkansas in the year 1856, both being now residents of the county. After his marriage Mr. Stone purchased a farm of 120 acres in Scott Township, it being partly improved at the time, and now has about fifty acres under cultivation. He has taken quite an active part in the political affairs of the county, and always votes with the Democratic party, and was elected on that ticket in 1886, to the office of county clerk, his term expiring in 1888. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Of an interesting family of four children born to them, two are now living: Albert Sidney and Minnie Lura.

Samuel G. Stone  (CHART), general merchant, Bay Village, Ark. In including, in this work, the sketches of prominent business men of Poinsett County, none are more deserving of recognition than that of Samuel G. Stone, who for a number of years has carried on an extensive mercantile establishment at Bay Village. He was born near Harrisburg, Ark., December 23, 1859, and is the son of S. D. Stone, a native of Middle Tennessee, and a successful agriculturist. He was married in his native State, to Mrs. Matilda (Hall) Wilson, also a native of Middle Tennessee, and they soon afterward moved to Arkansas, and settled in Poinsett County, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Stone had been married twice before; first, to William Stanford, by whom she had two children, Thomas and Lucinda, and then wedded Berry Fentrel, by whom she had one child, Richmond Fentrel. To her marriage with Samuel D. Stone were born two children: Robert A., a farmer, married, and residing near Harrisburg, and Samuel G., the subject of this sketch. The latter, like the ordinary country boy, received his education in the common schools, and started out in the world for himself at the age of eighteen. He began first by hauling logs and lumbering, which he continued for some time, and then was for a short time engaged in tilling the soil. In 1882, he met and married Miss Ida L. Goodwin, daughter of Peterson and Mary A. (Bert) Goodwin, natives of Virginia and North Carolina, respectively. Mr. Goodwin is one of the sturdy sons of toil, and is now residing in Poinsett County, Ark. To Mr. and Mrs. Stone were born the following children: William (died at the age of three months); Lulu M., Mary Belle and Ollie P. In 1884, Mr. Stone was elected constable, which position he held until 1886, when he was re-elected, and was also made marshal and deputy sheriff at the same time. In November, 1887, he engaged in merchandising at Bay Village, which he continued alone until February 1, 1888, when J. H. Vandiver bought an interest in the business, and they continued together until January 1, 1889. Mr. Stone then bought Mr. Vandiver out, and is now engaged alone in the business. He carries a general stock of goods, does a good business, and is in a prosperous condition. Aside from his store, he is the owner of 320 acres of land, and has one farm of 120 acres, well improved, and fifty-five acres under cultivation. This farm lies three miles east of Harrisburg, and another farm of eighty acres lies four miles east of Harrisburg, the latter all woodland. Another tract of timber land, 160 acres in all, lies six miles east of Harrisburg, and another eighty acre tract lies on the Bottom Belt road. In addition to this, Mr. Stone is the owner of six lots and one dwelling house in Harrisburg. He has [p.613] acquired all his property by his own industry, and deserves much credit for it. He and Mrs. Stone are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he is a liberal contributor, as well as to all other worthy and laudable enterprises.

Thomas B. Sparks  (CHART), general merchant, Harrisburg, Ark. Thomas B. Sparks, the senior member of the well-known and thoroughly established firm of T. B. Sparks & Co., is a native of Middle Tennessee, where his birth occurred February 27, 1840. His father, Thomas Sparks, was a farmer and trader by occupation, and was married in Virginia, to Miss Mary Booth. He moved to Arkansas in 1859, and died near Jonesboro about 1878. Both he and wife were members of the church, he of the Methodist Episcopal, and she of the Baptist Church. Their children, ten in number, are as follows: Mrs. Sarah A. Stroud (residing near Jonesboro), Mary E. (widow of H. Parr, residing at Jonesboro), T. B., A. W. (a farmer, residing at Harrisburg, Ark.), W. M. (a traveling salesman for a wholesale clothing house, at Cincinnati), G. N. (merchant at Wynne, Ark.); the rest of the children are deceased. Thomas B. Sparks began life for himself by entering the army, enlisting February 17, 1862, in Company A. Twenty-third Arkansas, with J. D. Hillis, as captain. He took part in the disastrous battles of Iuka and Corinth, and was captured at Port Hudson, paroled and returned home. In the autumn of the same year he was exchanged, after which he entered the service in the same company and regiment, but cavalry. On the re-organization, his elder brothers, James E. and T. B., were elected captain and lieutenant, respectively, of Company A, which position they each held until the close of the war. After entering the cavalry, the subject of this sketch was in the White River campaign, but surrendered at Wittsburg, in July, 1865. After the termination of hostilities, he returned home, and engaged in tilling the soil for one year, after which he entered the employ of his brother, James E. Sparks, as clerk. In the year 1868 his marriage to Miss Elvira Harris was consummated. She is the daughter of Capt. Benjamin and Martha (Thrower) Harris, who were among the earliest settlers of this county, and were the founders of the town of Harrisburg, which was named in their honor. Mr. Harris was a successful agriculturist, and figured prominently in the affairs of his county and State, holding the offices of representative, judge, and was also senator of the Twenty-ninth District of Poinsett, Jackson and Mississippi Counties. He was a Democrat in politics, and was a prominent Mason. Mr. Sparks continued to work as a salesman until 1873, when he was elected clerk of the circuit court of Poinsett County, and was twice reelected. He was defeated in 1878, and subsequently returned to mercantile work, which he continued until 1880, when he was elected sheriff and collector. He was twice re-elected, thus plainly showing his efficiency as a public man, and served in that office until 1886, since which time he has given his undivided attention to merchandising. He and Mrs. Sparks are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are much respected by all who know them. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. (being High Priest of the Chapter) and of the K. of H. He is a Democrat, and is active in his support of all schools, churches and public enterprises generally. In January, 1887, the present firm of Sparks & Co. was formed, the individual members being T. B. Sparks and J. L. Smith. They carry a stock of goods valued at from $6,000 to $8,000, handle cotton and grain, and are doing the largest business of any firm in town.

A. S. Thorn & Co.,  (CHART) general merchants, of Marked Tree, Ark. A. S. Thorn is an example of the success attending hard work and honest dealing, and his trade is solidly established and reaches over the surrounding country. They carry an excellent and select stock of general goods, and the building in which they do business is their own, and they also own a good frame hotel. Their store was established in 1886, and, as stated above, they are doing a prosperous business. A. S. Thorn was born in York District, of South Carolina, in 1834, and is the third of a family of ten children born to Jesse and Frances (Miller) Thorn, who were born in South Carolina and North Carolina, respectively. The father was a planter, and in 1838 removed to the “Blue Grass State,” and from there to Poinsett County, in 1848, but entered land in Craighead County, and in 1874 moved to Jonesboro, where he lived a retired life until his death, in 1875. He took considerable interest in local polities, and, although originally a Whig, he afterward became a Republican. His wife's death preceded his by one year, she having borne him the following children: William Jasper, who in 1861 enlisted from Crittenden County, in Capt. Barton's regiment of cavalry, and while trying to capture a vessel, in 1862, was shot, dying a short time afterward, in the month of April; John Newton, another son, resides in Craighead County, and is engaged in farming; A. S., our subject; Mary, who died young; D. H., who is married and resides in Jonesboro; Harvey J., who was killed in 1871 by a falling tree; Zilla, who died in 1864; Martha (Mrs. Hubbs) residing in Craighead County; Sarah (Mrs. Abraham Brown), also of that county, and Caledonia (Mrs. Gwinn), also residing there. A. S. Thorn received no educational advantages in his youth, but educated himself after reaching manhood. He began farming in Craighead County, and was married there, in 1856, to Miss Ollie Owen, of Tennessee, but her death occurred the same year. He next wedded, in Poinsett County, Miss Nannie Bradsher, of Tennessee, their union taking place in 1859. She bore Mr. Thorn one child, Ida, and died in 1866. This daughter married a Mr. Hydrick, in 1882, and is living in Scott Township. In 1867
 Mr. Thorn's third union was consummated, his wife being Miss Amanda J. Mardis, of Alabama, and their marriage has resulted in the birth of three children: Willie N., Ruth and Bessie Beatrice. In 1866 Mr. Thorn removed to Scott Township, and purchased a partially improved farm of 1,350 acres, and put 250 acres under cultivation. He has since divided with his children, but still owns 150 acres there, all under cultivation. He remained on this farm until November, 1884, when he moved to Little River Township, and the following year embarked in his present business, at which he is doing well. He had previously been engaged in the same enterprise at Harrisburg, in 1872, the firm name being D. H. Thorn & Co., but at the end of eighteen months he sold his interest. He has a good farm of 320 acres, with about 120 acres under cultivation, and gives considerable attention to raising stock. He read law while living in Scott Township, and in 1872 was admitted to the bar, and since that time has practiced more or less. He is independent in his political views, and on the 13th of March, 1868, he was elected sheriff of Poinsett County, and served until the latter part of 1874. He is a member of Lodge No. 184 of the A. F. & A. M., at Harrisburg, and in this order is a member of Poinsett Chapter, No. 77. He and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

A. W. Thornton  (CHART) has passed the uneventful life of the farmer, and has continued steadily to pursue “the even tenor of his way,” and is now classed among the prosperous farmers of Poinsett County. His birth occurred in Giles County, Tenn., in 1846, and he was the fifth of eight children born to Leecel and Sarah Jane (Austin) Thornton, the former born in South Carolina and the latter in Tennessee. The father was taken to Tennessee when a youth, and was there reared and educated, and made that his permanent home until his death, which occurred in 1888, his worthy wife still surviving him, and making her home in Tennessee. In early life he was a Whig in his political views, but later he became a Democrat. A. W. Thornton was initiated into the mysteries of farm life by his father, who was a successful agriculturist, and received his early scholastic training in the district schools of Giles County. In 1862 he abandoned farm life for the time being to join the Confederate army, and was a member of Company E, Thirty-second Tennessee Infantry, and was mustered into service at Murfreesboro, and afterward participated in the battles of Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, and in 1864 received a gun-shot wound at Resaca, and was confined in the hospital at Forsyth, Ga., until fully recovered. He rejoined his company in August, 1864, and was again wounded by a gunshot at Atlanta, Ga., and was sent to the hospital where he had previously been cared for, and was later taken to Cuthbert, Ga. In 1864, he again rejoined his command, and was with Hood on his campaign in Tennessee. After his return to his home in Giles County, he remained there until 1871, when he came to Poinsett County, where he has since been engaged in farming and school teaching, and in both these occupations has become well known. His farm comprises 160 acres, and since 1883, he has cleared thirty acres and put them under cultivation. His property is well improved with good buildings and fences, and in addition to his farm work, his attention is given, to a considerable degree, to stock raising. He votes the Democratic ticket, but is not an active partisan. In 1877 and 1878 he filled the office of county assessor, and is the present justice of his township, and is serving his fourth term. He is a patron of schools, and is a member of Harrisburg Lodge No. 184, of the A. F. & A. M., and was secretary of his lodge for about two years. He has also filled that position for the I. O. O. F., he being a member of White Hall Lodge No. 77. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel. He was married in this county, in 1877, to Miss Harriet Frances Wright, and by her has four children: James Arthur, Thomas Jefferson, Leecel La Fayette and William Harvey.