Goodspeed's  Biographical and Historical
Memoirs of Northeast Arkansas
A through C

James Ainsworth  (CHART), a farmer by occupation, is a Mississippian by birth, and has inculcated in him the sterling qualities of the better class of citizens of that State. He was born in Monroe County in 1831, and is the eldest of ten children born to Harrison and Susan (Spencer) Ainsworth, a brief history of whom is given in the sketch of William Ainsworth, treasurer of Poinsett County. James became familiar with farm life through his father, who was a successful agriculturist, and his early scholastic advantages were only such as could be obtained in the common schools. After remaining under the parents' roof until thirty years of age, assisting in clearing the old home farm, he concluded it was time for him to start out in life for himself, and after purchasing and selling several farms, he bought his present place, consisting of 138 acres, of which fifty are under cultivation. In addition to what he raises he is engaged in buying and selling stock, and finds this a profitable way in which to invest his money. He has taken quite an interest in local politics, and in his views is a Democrat. Socially he is a member of Lodge No. 184, A. F. & A. M., of which he has been treasurer for the past fifteen years, and he also belongs to Chapter No. 74, R. A. M., in which he holds the position of scribe. He was married in Poinsett County, in 1868, to Emily Hale, but her death occurred ten years later, and he was married, in 1879, to Sarah Stevens, by whom he has three children: James Thomas, Katie Bell and Ollie Lou, Mrs. Ainsworth is an intelligent lady, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and is a daughter of Moses and Marion Stevens, who were born in Georgia and emigrated to Arkansas at an early day, and both died in Craighead County, Ark.

William Ainsworth  (CHART). The name borne by this substantial citizen is not an unfamiliar one.
My footsteps press where, centuries ago, The red men fought and conquered, lost and won.

The Ainsworth family was first represented in Arkansas, in 1836, by Harrison Ainsworth  (CHART), who was born in the State of South Carolina, and was there married to Susan Spencer, whose birth also occurred in East Tennessee. On coming to Arkansas, they settled on a farm north of where Harrisburg is now situated, the county at that time being a vast wilderness of woods and canebrake, and was filled with roaming tribes of hostile red men and wild animals. Here the father, by the aid of his faithful wife, succeeded in clearing his farm, and this place was his home until his death, in 1845, his wife surviving him, and making her home on the old farm until her demise in 1866. William Ainsworth aided his parents materially in clearing the farm, but his youthful days were also spent in acquiring a thorough knowledge of the “three R's” in the public schools near his home. His birth occurred in Pontotoc County, Miss., on March 23, 1835, a short time prior to his parents' removal to this State, and at the age of twenty-three years, on the 6th of March, 1859, he was married in Craighead County, Ark., to Miss Martha White, and soon after purchased a timber tract, embracing 160 acres, which he immediately commenced to clear, and now has eighty-five acres under the plow. He has added to his original purchase, his acreage at the present time amounting to 600. His property is well improved, with good buildings and orchard, and for some time he has been acting as agent for a number of companies in the purchase of real estate, and is doing well in this business. He has always taken an active interest in polities, and has almost invariably voted the Democratic ticket, as the principles of this party thoroughly coincide with his views. He was elected on this ticket to the office of county treasurer, in 1868, and served one term, being elected again in 1886 and 1888. He was county assessor in 1872 and 1873. He has always been interested in educational matters, and as a member of the school board Mr. Ainsworth has done a great deal to raise the standard of education in his community. He has filled nearly all the chairs in the Masonic order, and is now a member of Poinsett Lodge No. 184. In 1878 he was called upon to mourn the death of his excellent wife, she having borne him a family of five children: Sarah E. (Mrs. Rice); Charles Thomas, married, and residing near his father; Margaret Jane (Mrs. Gray), also residing near her father; John Calvin and Lee Garland. Mrs. Ainsworth was a daughter of Rev. Thomas S. and Sarah White, who were natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Alabama. They came to Greene County, Ark., in 1838, and settled near Jonesboro, where they spent their declining years, his death occurring in 1868, and hers in 1878. In 1879, Mr. Ainsworth was married, in Poinsett County, to Miss Martha Ellen Gray, a native of Alabama, and their union has been blessed by the birth of three children: Richard Baxter, Poindexter D. and Logan Cleveland. Mr. Ainsworth can well remember the time when it took eight days to go to Memphis, Tenn., for supplies, and can see great changes in the country since that time, he having been one of the leading men to institute these changes. He has been a member of the Methodist Church for many years, and his wife also belongs to the same church.

J. H. Allen  (CHART), farmer and teacher, Harrisburg, Ark. It has long since been acknowledged that no matter what a man's occupation in life may be, a very necessary element to his success is a good education, and doubtless this is one cause of Mr. Allen's success in life. He was born in Mecklenburg County, N. C., on the 30th of September, 1839, and is the son of Col. William Allen, one of the early settlers of North Carolina, and a native of that State. When a young man, the latter was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Hunter (subject's mother), also a native of North Carolina. After his marriage the Colonel settled a large plantation in Mecklenburg County, N. C., and entered land in the Catawba purchase. The grandparents of J. H. Allen, on both sides, were natives of Dublin, Ireland, and the grandfathers were Revolutionary soldiers, and fought for American liberty. The ancestors on both sides were among the Irish peasantry. Grandfather Hunter was in the battle of King's Mountain. J. H. Allen's time in early life was divided between assisting on the farm and in attending the common schools. Subsequently he entered Davidson College, and graduated from that institution in the freshman class of 1856. Mr. Alien is one of three survivors of that class of twenty-two, who left the college on that memorable June day. One, James Steward, a farmer in Brazil, South America; another, George Morrow, tilling the soil in South Carolina, and the subject of this sketch, are the ones living; the rest are with the honored dead of the late struggle.  Mr. Allen took the course of 1858-59 in Cokesbury Theological Institute. in South Carolina, and left that institute to marry Miss H. R. Thrower, a beautiful lady, to whom he had been betrothed for seven years, but only reached her bedside in time to see her die. In 1861 he enlisted in the cause of the South, was in the battle of the Wilderness, and was severely wounded at Malvern Hill; was a brave and gallant oldier. He was paroled at Richmond, at the general surrender in 1865, and returned home, only to find all  his property destroyed. He then engaged in his chosen profession, teaching, and followed this in Mississippi and Arkansas for many years. He has been three times married, and is the father of fourteen children. He came to Arkansas in 1870, and has taught in the schools of this State for eighteen years. He has 100 acres of land, forty acres under cultivation; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 77, White Hall. He takes much interest in public enterprises. His word is his bond, always careful to perform his promise, and “owes no man anything,” thereby fulfilling the Divine injunction.

W. T. Beatty  (CHART) is a general merchant, postmaster and magistrate at Perkins, Ark., and has been engaged in the first mentioned business since February, 1888. He keeps a full line of groceries, dry goods, boots and shoes, and shelf hardware, and, in addition to this manages a steam cottongin, of which he is the owner. His store building and residence are in one, and, although he is now living quietly, his life has been rather an eventful one. He was born in Madison County, Tenn., in 1844, and is the seventh of ten children born to John and Martha A. Beatty, who were born in the “Old North State.” They removed to Madison County, Tenn., at an early day, and here the father opened up a good farm, on which he resided until his death, in 1854, his excellent wife passing from life in 1865. John Beatty was of English descent, was a Democrat in politics, and a Mason, and held office in this order. The maternal grandfather, Joseph Tarburton, was a German, and was a soldier in the Mexican War. W. T. Beatty received his early schooling in Tennessee, and when war was declared, although only sixteen years of age, he enlisted from Madison County, Tenn., in Company E, Sixth Tennessee Infantry, for three years, or during the war, and went into service at Spring Creek, in that State. He was in the battle of Shiloh, but was afterward discharged at Tupelo, Miss., being under age. He remained inactive for about four months, a portion of the time being sick with typhoid fever; but after recovering he enlisted in the State Militia of Mississippi, and was then transferred to the Fifteenth Tennessee Cavalry, under Gen. Forrest, and remained with him until the close of the war. He returned to Tennessee in 1866, and for some time was engaged in farming and saw-milling, and also followed railroading, being on the Belmont branch of the Iron Mountain road from 1874 to 1880, with headquarters at Columbus, Ky. From that time until 1882 he was in the Government employ, working on the Mississippi River, and made his headquarters at Plum Point, Tenn. In the spring of 1883 he came to Marked Tree, Ark., and after following the occupation of saw-milling for one year he went to Harrisburg, and embarked in the hotel and livery business. This enterprise he abandoned in 1885, and removed to Cross County, where he followed milling, but returned in 1886 to Marked Tree. Here he has since been engaged in general merchandising. He is a Democrat, and since September, 1888, he has held the office of magistrate, and since May of the same year has been postmaster at the office called Perkins. He belongs to the school board in District No. 14, and has always taken an interest in matters pertaining to education, being now the president of the Union Debating Society. He was married in Madison County, Tenn., in 1869, to Miss Nancy Ann Williford, of that State, and her death occurred in Columbus, Ky., October 1, 1880. She left two children: Wyatt Jefferson and Martha Ada (Mrs. Lucas), both of Paragould. In November, 1883, Mr. Beatty wedded, in Harrisburg, Miss Cynthia Ann Maynard, a native of Tennessee. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Since the construction of the railroad through Little River Township land has greatly increased in [p.579] value, and it is only a question of a few years when this township will be one of the best farming regions in the county.

Elijah Bennett  (CHART), farmer and stock raiser, Buffalo Lick, Ark. All his life Mr. Bennett has followed, with substantial success, the occupation to which he was reared and in which he is now engaged, farming, and is recognized as one of the prominent tillers of the soil in Greenfield Township. He is the fourth in a family of ten children born to Thomas and Martha (Rollins) Bennett, natives of Alabama. Thomas Bennett was a farmer, and in this occupation continued all his life. He came to Craighead County in 1867, settled near Jonesboro, and bought a tract of partly improved land, where he remained until his death, in 1882. His excellent wife stills survives him, and resides in Craighead County. Elijah Bennett was born in Russell County, Ala., in 1839, and, naturally perhaps, early exhibited taste for farm life, which was cultivated on a tract of land in Alabama. He received his education in the district schools of Calhoun County, and in 1861 was married, in Chambers County of that State, to Miss Celia Smith, a native of Alabama. Her death occurred in 1873, and she left four children: J. F., W. W., Lutie (now Mrs. Smith) and Robert. In 1861, the same year of his marriage, Mr. Bennett enlisted in Capt. Earl's Company Second Alabama Cavalry, and entered the service at Montgomery, Ala., in Ferguson's Brigade. He was on skirmish duty most of the time, but was in the battle of Atlanta, Ga. He was paroled at Augusta, Ga., in 1865, after which he returned to Alabama, and in 1869 emigrated to Poinsett County, where he purchased a timber tract of 160 acres. He at once commenced to improve forty acres, and is now one of the representative farmers of the county. He raises considerable stock, horses, cattle, hogs, etc., and makes a success of this. He was married again in 1874, to Delia Goodlow, a native of Harrisburg, Ark., and her death occurred in 1876. Mr. Bennett's third marriage took place in Craighead County, in 1879, to Miss Martha Wimpey, native of Floyd County, Ga. Her father moved to Craighead County, Ark., when she was quite young. Eight children were born to this union: Lydia, Thomas, John, Isabella, Jennie, Elia, Elsie and R. Zella. Mr. Bennett, though not an office seeker, takes an active part in politics, and votes with the Democratic party. He also takes great interest in school matters, and has been a member of the school board. He is a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and is a substantial supporter of all public enterprises. Mrs. Bennett is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.

Bledsoe  (CHART) & Tillery  (CHART), dealers in general merchandise, also millers and ginners, Bay Village, Ark. The field of enterprise opened up in the mercantile line is a large one, and many prominent citizens of Bay Village are engaged therein. Among the representative houses that of Bledsoe & Tillery is entitled to due recognition. The above firm was established in Bay Village in 1884, by the present proprietors, who bought out Stone, Shaver & Co., and since then they have refitted the machinery, and made everything new except the corn buhrs. The individual members of the firm are W. L. Bledsoe and F. F. Tillery, the former being the senior member. He was born on the 18th of July, 1849, and is the son of Stephen and Mary Nichols (Jennings) Bledsoe, natives of Middle Tennessee, and both members of the Baptist Church. The father was an enterprising agriculturist, and in his political views affiliated with the Whig party. He was the father of three children: Sarah A., who died in 1883, was the wife of D. H. Pitman; Susan F., is the wife of G. H. Grubbs, a farmer, and lives in Lincoln County, Tenn., and William L., one of the subjects of this sketch. He was left fatherless at the age of nine years, and during the ten years of his mother's widowhood he remained with her, and secured but a limited education in the common schools. After her second marriage, in 1808, he started out on the broad highway of life for himself, and became a sturdy son of toil, continuing at this in Tennessee for ten years. In February, 1870, occurred his marriage to Miss Calister Moore, daughter of James and Martha Moore, natives of Marshall County,. Tenn. This happy union resulted in the birth of three children: Willie, James and Orah. Their mother died in 1886, and Mr. Bledsoe took for his second wife Miss Fannie Roy, daughter of Judge Roy, and a native of Tennessee. Two children were the fruits of this marriage: Maud and Elmer. In 1878 Mr. Bledsoe left the farm and embarked in the grocery business, which he carried on in Middle Tennessee for two years. In 1880 he moved to Harrisburg, Poinsett County, Ark., tilled the soil here for a year, and then moved to Bay Village, where he still continued farming. Three years later he engaged in his present business, and is making a success of the same, having erected new buildings etc., and secured a lucrative patronage. The firm own a tract of land of sixty-three acres, and are engaged extensively in the raising and selling of stock. They also farm extensively, and have this year over 150 acres of cotton, seventy-five acres in connection in Poinsett County. Aside from this they own five acres in Bay Village, and 210 acres, 180 under cultivation. In their mercantile business they carry a stock of goods valued at $2,000, and their annual sales equal $20,000. F. F. Tillery, junior member of the above mentioned firm, was born October 16, 1856, in Alabama, but was reared in Middle Tennessee, where he received but a limited education. His parents, William and Jane (Cunningham) Tillery, were also natives of Alabama. William Tillery followed tilling the soil in early life, and at the age of thirty years, being fairly well educated, he entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which work he continued with successful results for thirty five years, or until his death, which occurred in 1863. He was an honored member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, and was a much revered gentleman. Although he never enlisted in the service, he went with those of the soldiers with whom he was acquainted to wait upon and attend to their wants, and died while thus striving to do good. Mrs. Tillery survived her husband twenty-five years, reared her children to maturity, and during the last five years of her life lived happily with them. She united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of sixteen, and lived a consistent member of the same until her death, in 1888, having been a member of the same for fifty-four years. She reared her family at a time when educational opportunities were very limited, and the training and instruction she gave them were all they ever received. F. F. Tillery was the twelfth of thirteen children, seven of whom are now living, six daughters and one son, all married, viz.: Mrs. Francis Van Martindale, Mrs. Sarah A. McKenney, Mrs. Margaret Roper, Mrs. Mary Bledsoe, Mrs. Harriet Smith and Mrs. Julia Goodloe, the subject of this sketch being the only son living. He started out in life at the age of eighteen, and entered the employ of a saw-mill man, with whom he remained for some time. After this he embarked in agricultural pursuits, and continued at this until November 30, 1880, when he made a visit to Harrisburg, and although ho had no intention of a permanent stay, his practical eye soon saw that right there was a chance for a man with progressive ideas to make a start in life. He first began by teaming, and in connection with this carried on farming and trading, which he continued until 1884. He then embarked in merchandising with Mr. W. L. Bledsoe, at Bay Village. On February 14, 1879, he was first married to Miss Lebecca Merrill, who was a daughter of Garrett and Amy (Walker) Merrill, natives of Alabama and Middle Tennessee, respectively. Mrs. Tillery lived about twenty-three days after marriage, and in February, 1880, Mr. Tillery married Miss Mellie A. Merrill, sister to his first wife. They have the following family: Mary F., Robert Lee, Minnie O., Arthur B., Tillie M., died in infancy; Willy D. and Pearl. Mr. Tillery casts his vote with the Democratic party, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also Mrs. Tillery.

Theo Brownfield  (CHART) is one of the progressive, intelligent and enterprising agriculturists of Poinsett County, and was born in Warren County, Middle Tennessee, in 1846, and of his parents' nine children he was the eldest. His youthful days were spent in the State of Illinois, and he received a good practical education in the schools of Jackson County. He started out in life for himself, by driving stock through Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota, but after his marriage, which occurred in Jackson County, Ill., in 1865, to Miss Ellen Dale, he settled down to farming. Growing dissatisfied with that location, and thinking he could better his financial condition, he came to Harrisburg, Ark., in November, 1869, and, after residing in the town for one month, he purchased a timber tract of 160 acres, in Greenfield Township, and in a comparatively short time had forty acres fenced and partly cleared. He sold this property in 1872, however, and bought another farm, adding, in 1881, eighty acres more, this being the farm on which he is now residing. He has been an active member of the Democratic party, and belongs to the school board of his district, the Agricultural Wheel, and is a member of Lodge No. 184, of the A. F. & A. M. He and wife are the parents of the following family: Fayette, William and Oscar (twins), Mary Edna and Anna, living; those deceased are Freeman A., whose death occurred in 1882; Zella S., who died in 1875, and Estella, whose death occurred in 1879. Mr. Brownfield is a son of Robert and Edna (Kerby) Brownfield, the former a native of Alabama, and the latter of Warren County, Tenn.. They were married in the latter State, and in 1849 emigrated to Marion County, Ill. After a short residence in St. Francis County, Mo., they returned to Illinois, in 1852, and resided there and in Jackson County until 1865, and from that time until the father's death, in 1875, they resided in Clay County. The mother died in February, 1862.

Mrs. Isabella F. Burt  (CHART) , is the relict of John M. Burt, who was born in South Carolina in 1807. Her father, John, and her mother, formerly Letta Meltage, were born in Rutherford County, N. C., and moved to Northern Alabama about 1825, in which State the father's death occurred in 1840, his death being preceded by his wife's about one year. He was a hatter by trade, but also followed the occupation of farming, and he and his wife were active and worthy workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Their children were as follows: William, who was born about 1810, was a farmer by occupation, and about 1856 came to Cross County, Ark. He was a Master Mason, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and became the father of a large family of children, seven of whom live in Cross County at the present time. He died in 1859; Isabella F. (Mrs. Burt), was their second child, and Rachel, their last, she being the widow of Allen Burt, a farmer who died in Louisana in 1851. His wife and six children survive him, and in the year 1856, came to Poinsett County, Ark., and here the mother is still living at the age of seventy-seven years. Mrs. Isabella F. Burt spent her girlhood days in her native State, and there received a good education in the common schools. In December, 1829, she was married to John M. Burt, a son of William and Mehathalona (Mosely) Burt, whose native State was South Carolina. They were farmers there, and in 1856 moved to Arkansas, where they became the owners of 640 acres of land, and at the time of the father's death, in 1861, they had about 130 acres under cultivation. To them were born four children: Martha A., wife of J. H. Hall, a sketch of their son, John W. Hall, being given in this work; Mary J., wife of Eli A. Bradner (she died in 1870, and her husband and four children survive her); Lucy I., who first married Green Hall, and afterward Thomas W. Eskridge, and died in October, 1874, and John W., who died in Alabama at the age of four years. Mrs. Isabella Burt can distinctly remember many interesting anecdotes connected with the early history of Poinsett County, and can remember when Memphis, Tenn., was their nearest market of any importance, and when “Old Farm Hill” was the nearest church, and Old Bolivar the county seat. The houses of the settlers were mostly of logs, hand-sawed by the men, and Mrs. Burt's old home contains a floor of split logs, and another of whipsawed logs. Their clothing was all home-made, and a suit of jeans was considered a very stylish attire in those days. Mrs. Burt was left a widow with four children, just on the eve of the late war, and during that time, her slaves, numbering about twenty-five, left her. Owing to the respect and liking, which her intelligence and kindly manners always inspired, she was left unmolested by the Union soldiers, and devoted herself to rearing her children, and the manner in which this noble woman fulfilled her trust is evident in looking upon her children who have grown to mature years. She is remarkably well preserved in years, the “ravages of time” having had but little effect upon her vigorous intellect. Since 1874, she has been spending her time under the loving care of her children and grandchildren, and is at present making her home with her grandson, John W. Hall.

D. C. & I. R. Cole  (CHART) are prominent lumber manufacturers of Poinsett County, Ark., and have been established in business since May, 1886, their mill having a capacity of 1,500,000 feet per year. They are situated two and one-half miles north of Harrisburg, and have their own tramway of three and one-half miles, and employ from fifteen to twenty men, to whom they aim to give employment the year round. Isaac R. Cole, the senior member of the firm, was born in Darke County, Ohio, in 1833, and inherits a fair share of the energy and push which are so characteristic of the inhabitants of that State. He was the sixth of eight children born to James and Sarah (Rupple) Cole, who were born in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, respectively; at an early day they settled in Darke County, Ohio, and in February, 1836, emigrated overland to St. Joseph County, Ind., where they settled on a farm and made their home the remainder of their days, the former's death occurring in July, 1856, and the latter's in October, 1860. In this county and State Isaac R. Cole received his education and was initiated into the mysteries of farm work. After having farmed for himself for a number of years he, in 1871, engaged in the milling business in North Liberty, Liberty Township, St. Joseph County, and in 1886 moved his mill to Poinsett County, Ark., where he has his present plant. Being a man of excellent business qualifications and experience, he has built up an extensive business and' readily disposes of immense quantities of lumber annually, as his shipping facilities are good. In 1856 he was married, in the “Hoosier State,” to Miss Eliza J. Rush, but she was called to her long home three years later, leaving a son, James Arthur. Miss Mary Ellen Reamer became Mr. Cole's second wife, their union taking place in 1860. She was born in the State of Indiana, and she and Mr. Cole have an interesting little family of three children: Alma Alice (Mrs. Nelson, a resident of St. Joseph County, Ind.), Benjamin F. and Mabel B. at home. Mr. and Mrs. Cole are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at North Liberty, Ind., and he was Worshipful Master of Lodge No. 266, of the A. F. & A. M., at North Liberty, Ind. During his residence in this county (since 1886) he has noticed a gradual improvement each year, and has taken an active interest in promoting the growth and improvement of the same. Churches and schools always receive his patronage, and on his and his brother's land, which amounts to 2,600 acres, many homes are being erected and clearings made, and a schoolhouse will soon be erected thereon.

L. J. Collins, M. D.  (CHART), is one of Poinsett County's most trustworthy physicians and surgeons, and as he has obtained a liberal share of public favor, it is one of the best of proofs of his skill and care. He was born in Fulton County, Ky., in 1857, and is the third in a family of three children, born to Leroy and Evaline (Murphy) Collins, who were Tennesseeans, and emigrated to Fulton, Fulton County, Ky., at an early day, where the father followed the trade of a mechanic. He still resides in Fulton, but his wife died many years ago, when our subject was but a small lad. L. J. Collins was taken to Carroll County, Tenn., after his mother's death, and there remained until he attained his eighth year, when he returned to Fulton County, Ky., and was educated in the schools of that county. From earliest manhood the study of medicine always had a fascination for him, and he determined to make that his calling through life; and in order to fit himself for active work he entered the Hospital Medical College of Louisville, Ky., and was graduated from that institution in 1877. His first experience as a practitioner was gained in Hardeman County, Tenn., but he only remained there a short time when he entered upon the practice of his profession in Wittsburg, Cross County, Ark. After a short stay of three months in this place he located in Bay Village of the same county, remaining here until the first of January, 1881, when he came to his present location, and has a paying practice in the town and surrounding [p.583] country. He has been an active politician for years, and always votes the Democratic ticket, and in 1888, was elected by that party to the State legislature from Poinsett County, and is now ably discharging the duties incumbent upon this office. Socially he is a member of the A. F. & A. M. In 1876 he was married, in Hardeman County, Tenn., to Miss Amanda Hurst, a native of Hardeman County, Tenn. To their union were born the following children: Henry, Dixie and LaFayette. Although the Doctor has resided here only a few years, he has noticed a decided change for the better in the public-school system, and in the growth and prosperity of the county.

A. A. Coppage  (CHART), clerk of the county and probate court, and also county recorder, was born in Marion County, Ky., on the 12th of January, 1847, being the seventh of twelve children born to the union of Hardin Coppage and Sally C. Robertson, both natives of Marion County, Ky., the former a farmer and stock dealer by occupation. He died in Davis County, Ky., in 1886, at the age of seventy-five years, his excellent wife's death occurring two years earlier. A. A Coppage received the education and rearing which usually fall to the lot of the farmer's boy, and in April, 1877, he left home and came to Greene County, Ark., where he engaged in general merchandising at Bethel, and after successfully continuing there for three years he moved to Harrisburg. He had also been engaged in teaching school while in Greene County, and after his locating in Poinsett County, he was elected to the office of deputy county clerk, serving from 1883 to November, 1888, and discharged his duties in so efficient a manner that in the fall of the latter year he was elected to his present office. By appointment he was made county judge in 1884, and filled the position with ability for six months. He has shown his approval of secret organizations by becoming a member of the A. F. & A. M., and the I. O. O. F., holding the position of secretary in the latter. He was married at Bethel, Greene County, Ark., in 1880, to Mrs. Bettie Going, formerly Betty Sloan, a native of East Tennessee, reared in Poinsett County, Ark. Three children have been born to their union: Effie and Abbie, being the only ones living. He has two step-children: Clyde and May Going.

Prof. Robert L. Cowan  (CHART), educator, Harrisburg, Ark. Originally from Warrick County, Ind., where his birth occurred on the 14th of March, 1852, Prof. Cowan is possessed of those advanced ideas and progressive principles regarding educational matters which make his name familiar throughout this part of the State. His parents, Rev. John D. and Elizabeth (Knight) Cowan, were natives of Tennessee and Indiana, respectively. The father was a graduate of Princeton College, New Jersey, and about 1849 or 1850 he was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry. He at once received the appointment of principal of Newburg Academy, at Newburg, Ind., which position he filled with honor until 1858, when he was made financial agent of Union College, at Virginia, Cass County, Ill. He remained in this position until near the close of his life, in 1865. At the age of sixteen, in company with two others of about the same age, he rode from Holly Springs, Miss., to Texas, and was forty days making the journey. They lost themselves in the wild and unbroken forests of Eastern Arkansas, wandered around for several days, and at last found Crowley's Ridge, which they followed north for some distance; then crossed over White River Valley, thence south to the Arkansas River, and after crossing this stream were near the present site of the city of Little Rock. From there they went to Shreveport, and then to Texas. Mr. Cowan remained in that State for four years, and during that time served as a soldier in the Texan army. He was wounded by arrows, and carried the scars to his grave. As pay for his services in the army he received a quarter of a league of Texas land (about 320 acres). In the meantime he had united with the Presbyterian Church, and was sent by the presbytery to attend Princeton College, as before stated. Prof. Cowan's paternal grandfather, David Cowan, was a native of Tennessee, and a farmer by occupation; was one of Gen. Jackson's soldiers in the battle of New Orleans, and met his death by being accidentally shot during a bear hunt in 1832. His father, John Cowan, was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and an early settler of Virginia, although later in life he drifted westward to Tennessee. His brother, David Cowan, came to America with him, and made his home in Pennsylvania. His son, Edgar Cowan, was United States senator from Pennsylvania during the war. Prof. Cowan's maternal grandfather, Isaac Knight, was a native of Pennsylvania, and emigrated with his father, Abraham Knight, to Henderson, Ky., in the year 1790. Two years later he was captured by the Indians, by whom he was kept a prisoner for two and a half years. He then escaped in the Straits of Mackinaw, by being hidden on a English trading vessel by a colored cook. He landed on terra firma in Detroit, and made his way home, after a perilous trip of six months. He followed agricultural pursuits, and opened up several large farms in Southern Indiana. His death occurred in 1858. Rev. John D. Cowan and Elizabeth Knight were married on the 20th of May, 1851, and Prof. Robert L. Cowan is their only child. His mother died on the 19th of August, 1854, and the father was married the second time on the 28th of December, 1859, to Miss Mary A. Bell, daughter of A. W. Bell, a prominent farmer of Central Illinois. To this union was born one child, Alex. B., whose birth occurred on the 2d of March, 1861, and who is married and has two children. He is the present manager of the Western Union Telegraph Company, at Quincy, Ill., and he, with his son, four years of age, and the subject of this sketch, are the only survivors bearing the family name. Prof. Cowan passed his boyhood days in poring over his books at home, and later attended the Presbyterian Academy in Macon County, Ill. After completing his studies in that college, in 1875, he went to Evansville, Ind., and filled the position of professor in the scientific department of the public high school of that city for five years. In 1880 he was elected county examiner of Vanderburgh County, which position he held until 1883, and then accepted the position of assistant engineer of the Danville, Olney & Ohio Railroad, while making the survey from Olney to Henderson, Ky. Following this Prof. Cowan was assistant engineer in the building of the Toledo, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad, between Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis. He then returned to Decatur in pour health, and remained in that city one year, when, in November, 1886, he came to Poinsett County, Ark. After locating here he followed the timber business, and then engaged in teaching, having charge of the Harrisburg schools in 1887 and 1889. His marriage occurred on the 20th of December, 1889, to Miss Maud Sloan, daughter of Judge G. W. Sloan, who keeps a hotel and is undertaker at Harrisburg. Prof. Cowan is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Mrs. Cowan belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Lodge No. 64, Evansville, and holds the position of reporter of Lodge No. 3380, Knights of Honor (Bolivar Lodge). He takes an active part in politics, votes with the Republican party, is chairman of his county committee, and is a member of both the State Central and Congressional committees. He takes an active interest in and gives his support to all public enterprises.