John R. McCarrell, an extensive stock
raiser and farmer of Black River Township, was born in Lawrence County,
Ark., December 24, 1834. His father, James McCarrell, was a native Kentuckian,
who came to Arkansas with his parents when eight years of age, being among
the first settlers of Lawrence County. They settled at a point near Smithville,
in the year 1808, where James McCarrell grew up and lived the greater portion
of his life. His occupation was farming, and at one time he owned two of
the finest farms in that section of Arkansas. He also served as county
treasurer of Lawrence County, for a number of years, filling the office
with honor and credit. His death occurred in 1872, after a long and useful
career. [p.804] John R. McCarrell remained with his father until December
22, 1852, when he was married to Miss Elizabeth Davis, of Tennessee. This
wife died January 24, 1884, after a faithful and happy married life of
over thirty-three years. They were the parents of sixteen children, ten
of them yet living. After his marriage Mr. McCarrell commenced farming
near Smithville, and in 1876 he moved to the present place, which he has
greatly improved since his arrival, having about 150 acres under cultivation,
on the Flat Creek Bottoms. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate
Army, and served until the close of the war, performing in that time many
a deed of valor. He was present at the battle of Pilot Knob and several
others, and a great part of the time was on detached duty. He surrendered
at Jacksonport, Ark., June 5, 1865, and shortly afterward returned home
to attend to the cultivation of his farms. On March 10, 1886, he was married
to Mrs. Emma Rutledge, a widow, of Lawrence County, who formerly resided
in Tennessee. They have two children by this marriage: James P. and Sarah
E., the latter the wife of Frank Hastin; and those by Mr. McCarrell's first
wife are John H., Susan (wife of Robert Eddy), George W., William T., Martha
(wife of Mr. Harroll), Fannie (wife of W. Taylor) and Cora Belle.
Robert McKamey is a son of Robert and Jemima (Parks) McKamey, of Tennessee, where young Robert was born, on the 29th of November, 1845. The elder McKamey held several local offices, and was quite a prominent man in Tennessee, and was also one of the survivors of the Mexican War. He moved with his family to Arkansas in the fall of 1858, and purchased a farm in Lawrence County, where he resided until his death, on the 12th of October, 1870, six days after the demise of his wife. Robert McKamey, Jr., came to Arkansas when in his thirteenth year, and remained with his parents until the last year of the war, when he entered the Federal army, and was attached to the Sixth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. He enlisted first as a private, but was made sergeant, in which capacity he remained until the war had ended. After he was given his discharge, in September, 1865, he returned to his home, and on the 6th of January, 1867, was married, in Randolph County, to Miss Barbara Wells. He remained in that county four years, farming upon a piece of land he had purchased, and then sold out and bought the place upon which he now resides. At the time of its purchase, there were about 100 acres cleared, and the buildings on it were unfinished, but since then he has cleared some seventy-five additional acres, fenced it in, and greatly improved the place. He owns altogether about 500 acres of land, situated two miles from Imboden, and one-third rich bottom and second bottom land. This is one of the best farms and most desirable pieces of property in Lawrence County, and Mr. McKamey has shown thrift and energy in securing it, from the fact that he started on comparatively nothing after the war. He also has a fine orchard of seven acres, consisting of different varieties of fruit. Mr. McKamey's first wife died in Lawrence County, leaving two children to her husband's care. His present wife was Miss Susan Ann Bragg, of Independence County, by whom he has had seven children. Their names are James L., John, Leona, Robert, Naida, Abbie and Anna, the last two being twins; and those by his first wife are Margaretta, wife of William York, and Emily, who died in her seventeenth year. Mr. McKamey has also lost three children, who died in childhood. Mrs. McKamey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. McKamey an Ancient Odd Fellow. He is a Republican in politics, and upholds the principles of his party. His wealth, while not of mammoth proportions, has grown to ample size, and he is one of the most substantial men of his county.
Simon McLeod was born in Harnett County, N. C., March 3, 1843, and is the son of Murdoch and Barbara (Matthews) McLeod, who came to Arkansas in 1858, settling on a farm in Lawrence County. His grandparents, on his father's side, emigrated from Scotland to this country during the latter half of the eighteenth century. On his mother's side, he is a descendant from a local family of merchants and farmers. The elder McLeod died in 1862, and his wife followed, December 20, 1888. Eleven children were born to them, and the family came to Arkansas unbroken, but death has cropped them out one by one until but five remain. Their names are James, John A., Simon, William and Hector, all farmers and mechanics. Simon McLeod, the seventh child, came west with his parents, with whom he remained until 1861, then leaving a comfortable home to fight for a cause he thought was right. He enlisted in the First Arkansas Battalion, and served to good advantage for the principles which he had undertaken to defend. He was present at the battle of Corinth, and at the siege of Port Hudson was among the most valiant in action. He did the duty of a private soldier until the end of the war, and surrendered at Shreveport, La., in 1865. He then returned to his home, and was married, in 1867, to Miss Sally C. Judkins, a Tennessee lady. In 1868 he and his companion moved on to the farm where they still live, with a happy and prosperous family. Mrs. McLeod is the descendant of a wealthy and influential Virginia family. She also is of Scotch descent. She is the daughter of William H. and Sarah D. (Roberts) Judkins. Mr. Judkins was elected to the State Senate of Arkansas, in 1854, and died at Little Rock, Ark., in December of the same year. Mrs. McLeod is a sister of Hon. Joseph B. Judkins, who was president of the Twenty-fourth Arkansas senate. Mr. McLeod and wife have been blessed with nine children, all living with the exception of two. Their names are: Walter E., Maggie D., Lettie M., Bessie C., Joseph H., Luther H., Eva A., (and one not named, deceased), and Laurence S. Mr. McLeod and his wife and his three oldest children are members of the Misssionary Baptist Church, and are people that command the respect of the entire community. He is a Democrat, and takes a deep interest in politics, though he has never aspired to any public position, preferring rather the pleasures of rural life.
John D. McMillen, a widely-known farmer and stock raiser of Duty Township, was born in Tippah County, Miss., October 21, 1850. He is a son of W. W. McMillen, a native of Alabama, who moved to Tennessee when a boy of seven years, and was reared in that State. W. W. McMillen was married in Mississippi, to Miss Mary A. Gunnell, of Jefferson County, Ala. (who moved to Mississippi when thirteen years old), and after his marriage settled on a farm in Tippah County, where John D. was born. He moved to Arkansas County, Ark., in 1855, and, after residing there for nine years, came to Lawrence County, where he remained until his death, in 1879. He fought for eight months in the late war, and bore a splendid record for his bravery. John D. McMillen came to the State of Arkansas with his parents when thirteen years of age, and remained with them until his maturity. He was married, on December 22, 1878, to Miss Laura E. Mitchell, who was born and reared at Clover Bend, Lawrence County, and brought his bride to the present residence. The land was but slightly improved when he came upon it, but about forty-three acres are now cleared and under cultivation, and, perhaps, forty acres more, which are still unimproved, but valuable land. He has a comfortable house, barns and all conveniences upon his place, and a good orchard, two acres in extent, of peach, apple, apricot, plum and pear trees. Mr. McMillen is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, taking an active interest in all its affairs. He and his wife are well known for their generosity and sympathy toward all enterprises for the advancement of educational and kindred interests. They are among the most popular residents of Lawrence County, and people who are held in the highest esteem.
Hon. Robert P. Mack, one of the leading attorneys of Powhatan, is a native of Tennessee, and was born at Waynesboro, August 27, 1848. His father is Judge L. L. Mack, whose history appears in another portion of this book. Mr. Mack came to Arkansas with his parents in 1853, when he was a lad of five years, where they located at Marion, Crittenden County. They afterward moved to Bolivar, and then to Gainesville, Greene County, where he grew to manhood. He received a very fair education at the common and high schools, besides applying himself studiously to all subjects which he thought would be of advantage to him in after life, and for one year was assistant teacher at one of the schools. In 1866 he commenced the study of law, under the guidance of his father, [p.806] Judge L. L. Mack, and, in 1868, was admitted to the bar. before he had reached his twenty first year. He was licensed to practice by Judge William Story, and shortly afterward moved to Pow Powhatan to enter into his profession. In 1869 he was associated with his father, under the firm name of Judge L. L. Mack & Son, and his natural talent, combined with the experience of his father. made it one of the most successful firms in that section. His present location is the one selected by him in 1870, which he bas kept continuously since that time. In 1873 the elder Mack with drew from the firm, and, up to the spring of 1887. Mr. R. P. Mack had been associated with various practitioners. when the present firm was organized. He was married. August 29, 1878, to Miss Mollie E. Lyons. of East Tennessee, a very attractive lady, and by this happy union with the lady of his choice, was born three children: Anna M., Vera C. and Lucy. Mrs. Mack is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and a lady whose kindly influence and gentle disposition are made manifest at home and in society.
John H. Martin, merchant and postmaster
of Powhatan, is a native of Eldorado County. Cal. born June 17, 1854. He
is a son of Josiah Mar tin, one of the veterans of the gold excitement
during the early days of California. The elder Martin was born and reared
in the State of Missouri, and left his home for California two years after
the great gold fever of 1849 had spread its contagion all over the civilized
globe. While there he met and married Miss Mary Mincer. of Pennsylvania
, and after sixteen years of mining returned with his wife to the State
of Missouri. The following year after his arrival he moved to Arkansas
and located at Powhatan, where he is now in partnership with his son in
the general merchandise business. John H. Martin resided in California
until he reached his fourteenth year. when he returned to Missouri with
his father. He received a good education, both in California and Missouri.
and after completing his studies, in 1868. he moved to Arkansas and settled
in Lawrence County. From 1870 to 1875 he was occupying a clerkship in one
of the principal drug houses in Lawrence County, and afterward engaged
in the same business himself. In September, 1880, he opened up a general
stock of merchandise in partnership with his father, under the firm name
of Martin & Son, but still continued in the drug business on his own
account. The firm of Martin & Son do a business of about $30.000 annually,
and enjoy an
enviable reputation for fair dealing and honest goods. Mr. Martin was appointed assistant postmaster several years ago, and on the retirement of his superior, in 1875, was given the office, and has been postmaster ever since. In December, 1878. he was married to Miss Lula McLeod, of Georgia, but in June, 1880, he was deprived of the companionship of his wife by death. Charles H., ten years old, is the only child.
James A Martin, of the firm of J. A. Martin & Bros., manufacturers, comes from a family of Missouri pioneers. He was born in Pike County, Mo., December 3, 1854, and is a son of F. G. Martin, of Lincoln County, Mo. The family is one of the oldest in Eastern Missouri, their ancestors settling in that State in its earliest days. The elder Martin was merited in Pike County. Mo., to Miss Susan E. Doyle, a native of that place, and after his marriage resided there for a number of years. In 1867 he came to the State of Arkansas and located at Powhatan, where be carried on the manufacture of wagons up to the year 1880, when he returned to Missouri, and in the spring of 1889 moved to Texas, where he at present resides. James A. Martin came to Arkansas with his parents when fourteen years of age. In his youth he was given a good school and commercial education, and in order to be more thoroughly acquainted with his father's business, he spent some time in black-smithing and wagon making. His knowledge of the business, Issing gained from practical experience, enabled him to build up a large and profitable trade. The firm manufacture spring wagons, buggies, etc., and turn out about 60,000 spokes monthly, besides felloes, plow beams and implements of a like nature. Their trade is one of the most extensive in Northeast Arkansas in their line, and their goods have obtained a well-merited renown. March 12, 1877. Mr. Martin was married [p.807] to Miss Ida Fortenberry, of Mississippi, a daughter of Absalom Fortenberry, of that State, and this happiest of unions has been blessed with three children: Guy R., Carrie and Nina. Mr. Rogers and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the former is a Mason. He is a very popular man, both in business and society, and is also one of the most progressive men of his county.
Samuel A. Massey was born in Knox County, Tenn., in 1838. He is the son of Jacob L. and Ann J. (Gray) Massey, the first named being a native of Tennessee, and the mother coming from Ireland to America with her parents in 1820, and settling in Knoxville, Tenn. His parents were married in Tennessee, in the year 1837, and moved to Arkansas in 1850, where they settled on Strawberry River, and commenced farming until the death of his father, in 1883. His mother died in 1878. Nine children were born to the parents, and two of them have been called away by death. Of the seven yet living, Mr. Massey is the oldest, and came to Arkansas when in his thirteenth year. He passed the younger portion of his days on the farm, and, on attaining his majority, commenced his race with the world with such a degree of success that to-day he is worthy of emulation by the young men of his county. He has 140 acres of land under cultivation, besides other lands in various sections, amounting to some 240 acres in all, which is the result of his own labor. In 1861, when he found that his country needed his services, he enlisted in the army, becoming a member of Company B, Twenty-first Arkansas, and held the rank of second lieutenant. He was captured by the enemy in 1864, in this county, and taken prisoner to Johnson's Island. Ohio, where he was kept until January, 1865. When no longer a prisoner of war he returned to his command and did good service, returning to his home shortly before the surrender, and has continued farming ever since. He was married in 1858 to Miss Elvira Milligan, a young lady born and reared in Arkansas, and a daughter of John Milligan, one of the pioneers of that State. Mrs. Massey died September 1, 1866, leaving four children as the result of their happy married life. Their names are Edia J., Samuel J., Jacob L., and Elvira E. Mr. Massey lives with his son Jacob on the home place, and though ofttimes beset by the snares of his widower's state, has always remained true to the memory of his beloved wife. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, to which his wife also belonged, and is also a member of Lodge No. 144, A. F. & A. M., of Reed's Creek, Sharp County.
Benjamin F. Matthews, a popular citizen of Powhatan, is a native of Georgia, and was born in Madison County, August 12, 1823. His parents were the Hon. Allen and Margaret (Elton) Matthews, who were married and resided for awhile in Jackson County, Ga., and then moved to Madison County. After a short residence in the latter locality they moved back to Jackson County, where the elder Mr. Matthews practiced law during the greater portion of his life, and attained an eminent place in his profession. He represented the county several terms in the legislature, and died in Gainesville, Ga., in 1843, after a successful career. His son, B. F. Matthews, grew to manhood in the State of Georgia, and during the earlier portion of his life had but a limited amount of education. This, though an obstacle in his path, was easily overcome by his perseverance and natural ability. He first came to Arkansas in 1854, and located at Powhatan, which place has been his residence ever since. In 1876 he commenced his commercial career, and up to the year 1886 was actively engaged in mercantile life, controlling a business of from $30,000 to $40,000 a year. In 1863 he was elected sheriff of Lawrence County, and served until 1867, and for four years acted as collector and assessor. Previous to that, in 1860. he was deputized census enumerator, and took the census of Lawrence and Sharp Counties. On October 24, 1844, he was married to Miss Catherine McElroy of Cherokee County, Ga., and this union has given them nine children, of whom only three are living at the present time: William, Catherine, wife of Clay Thorn, and Ella. Those deceased are Josephine, Bettie, Phineas, Alice, Thomas and Henry. Mr. Matthews lost his [p.808] first wife October 30, 1871, and after her death was determined to spend the remainder of his days single, but after meeting Miss Mary C. Clisby, of Massachusetts, he succumbed to that lady's charms, and was again married. They are both members of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Matthews has been a Mason for forty years.
Willis B. Matthews, of the firm of
Weir & Matthews, is another representative of that class of men, who,
by their energy and pluck, have won the esteem of their fellow-citizens.
He was born in Lawrence County, Ark., on the 1st day of November. 1857,
and is a son of William J. Matthews, a native of Tennessee. whose father,
John L. Matthews, was one of the pioneers of Arkansas. His father, W. J.
Matthews, married Miss Eliza J. McGhehey. of Lawrence County, a daughter
of George McGhehey, one of the early settlers of this State, and his interest
in the State of Arkansas is thus doubly strengthened by the fact of both
parents being born on the same soil. His father turned his attention to
farming until 1885. and then moved to Black Rock. to engage in mercantile
pursuits. Mr. Matthews remained with him until he attained his majority.
educating himself in the meantime, and then taught school for a period
of twelve months. He gave up this occupation to accept a position at Powhatan,
where he became thoroughly versed in mercantile affairs, and received excellent
business training. He then returned to farming again, and continued in
that business until October, 1883, when he re-entered into mercantile life
at Black Rock. He established himself in the grocery and drug business
at that point, and, in 1885, his father was brought into partnership, and
remained with him until the time of his death, in 1887. In the spring of
1889, the present firm of Weir & Matthews was established. They carry
a large stock of general merchandise, dry goods. groceries, clothing, drugs,
hardware. etc., and by their fair dealing and integrity, have earned a
reputation second to none in the county. Mr. Matthews has served on the
town board, and is a Master Mason. He is treasurer of Black Rock Lodge.
James Cabell Minor, physician and surgeon. Walnut Ridge, Ark. In a comprehensive work of this kind, dealing with industrial pursuits, sciences, arts and professions, it is only fair and right that that profession, the medical profession, on which in some period or other of our lives, we are all more or less dependent, should be noticed. It is the prerogative of the physician to relieve or alleviate the ailments to which suffering humanity is prone; and as such he deserves the most grateful consideration of all. A prominent physician and surgeon, who by his own ability has attained distinction in his profession, is Dr. Minor. He was born in Albemarle County, Va., on the 10th of October, 1858, and is the son of Dr. Charles Minor. and nephew of Prof. John B. Minor, present professor of Common and Statute Law in the University of Virginia, and the author of “Minor's Institutes.” Dr. Charles Minor was a physician, and in the early part of his life practiced his profession, but in later life was principal of a high school at Brook Hill, six miles north of the University of Virginia. He died in 1861, at the age of fifty-eight years. He married Miss Lucy Walker Minor, a native of Virginia, who died in that State, at Bellevue, in 1881, at the age of fifty-two years. They were the parents of a large family of children, thirteen in all, eight now living, two in this state, Lancelot, attorney at law, Newport, Ark., and James Cabell. One brother, Charles (now deceased), was an attorney at law at Jacksonport, and at one time represented Jackson County in the State legislature. James Cabell Minor was reared in Virginia, and first took an academic course, but subsequently entered as a student the University of Virginia, from which institution he graduated in the class of 1882, in the study of medicine. Going to Louisville, Ky., he there took a clinical course at the Hospital College of Medicine. He then came to Newport, Ark., in 1883, practiced there three years, and, in 1886, located at Walnut Ridge, where he has since resided. His marriage to Miss Emma Smith occurred on the 6th of February, 1885, at Newport, Ark. She was born at Brownsville, Tenn., and by her marriage became the mother of one child, Lancelot Minor. Jr. Dr. Minor and wife are members of the Episcopal [p.809] Church, parish of Newport. He is a Democrat in politics, and has for the past six years been local surgeon for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company.
William Park Mitchell, farmer and stock raiser, is a son of William and Sallie (Ross) Mitchell, of North Carolina, in which State William Park Mitchell was born on December 25, 1836. The family resided in North Carolina until 1847, when they moved to Benton County, Tenn., and settled on a farm. Here they resided, a happy family, until the father's death, in 1872, and then the mother following him in 1875. William P. remained with his father until his majority, and then entered into the grocery business at Dresden, where he remained for fourteen months. He next commenced farming in Tennessee, up to the year 1870, and, thinking that Arkansas offered a better field for that business, he moved to the latter State, and settled in Lawrence County. On his arrival he bought 120 acres of timbered land and an additional 150 acres, with slight improvements upon it. He at once began to improve and cultivate his farms, and at the present time has about eighty acres under cultivation, with two fair residences and two tenant houses, besides a substantial double log house, in which he resides. He also owns a fine bearing orchard of peaches and apples. Mr. Mitchell was married in Benton County, Tenn., on July 27, 1862, to Miss Sarah F. Summers, a native of that State, and a daughter of Zachariah Summers, of Virginia. This union has given them six children, all of whom are living and in the best of health. Their names are Willis L., Zula, wife of H. D. Lawson; Emma, wife of Elijah Roberts; Anna and Maggie, both young ladies, and Katie. They have also lost three children: George, who died in his sixth year; Laura, dying at three years of age, and John, who died in his second year. Mr. Mitchell is a Democrat in politics, and is always loyal in his support of the principles and men of that party. He was appointed deputy sheriff and served in that capacity for a number of years, and is held in the highest esteem by the entire community. He has a splendid farm, a comfortable home, and is considered to be one of the most successful farmers in Lawrence County, all of which he has accumulated by his own good judgment and industry. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Mitchell also of the Agricultural Wheel, being president of the local Wheel.
J. E. Moore is a firm believer in the soil upon which he was born, having remained in this county since his birth. His occupation is that of farming, but he is also an exponent of the advantages of a good education, and finds time for instilling knowledge in the minds of Lawrence County's future men and women. He is the son of William Moore, one of Arkansas' pioneers, who is now residing near Powhatan, and his mother was Miss Martha A. Judkins, of Tennessee, who met, and was united to her husband, in Arkansas. Ten children were born to them, five boys and five girls, and three have since died. Those living are Henry A., Joseph E., Nathaniel A., Robert C., Margaret I., Leonard H. and Laura C. Lizzie, Susan A. and Clara S. are deceased. Mr. Moore received the first rudiments of his education in the common schools of this county, and studied the higher branches at Irwin's Institute. After being thoroughly equipped for the duties of a school teacher, he went to Big Lick, in 1882, and opened up his first school. He has since then followed that profession, with steadily increasing success, holding two terms each year. He was married, in 1887, to Miss Josephine Childress, a daughter of Col. R. A. Childress, one of the old settlers of Independence County, and a hearty old gentleman, in his seventy-eighth year. Mr. Moore is a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife of the Presbyterian. He is an active politician.
John H. Morgan is a Georgian, and
was born in Walker County, that State (now Catoosa County), in the year
1838. He is a prosperous farmer of Morgan Township, and is a son of Henry
Morgan, of Georgia, who was killed in a distressing manner, in 1864, by
being thrown from an unruly mule. The elder Morgan came to Missouri with
his family, in the year 1856, and settled at a point in Wayne County, about
ten miles from Greenville, the county seat, where he farmed and cultivated
the land, until the time of his death. His wife, [p.810] Polly (Blackwell)
Morgan, of Georgia, died in about 1877. John H. Morgan is the fourth of
ten children, and was in his sixteenth year when his parents came to Missouri.
He attained his manhood in Wayne County, and in 1858 returned to Georgia,
where he established himself in the grocery business. In 1862 he answered
the call for men, and enlisted in Company A, of a Tennessee regiment, and
fought under Captain White, until the close of the war. He afterwards went
back to Missouri, and was there married to Miss Surilda Smith, of Wayne
County, but a native of Hamilton County, Tenn. The couple have eight children
living: Henry H. D., Joseph L., George W., Savanah J., William Jackson,
Tennie C., Martha S., Laura Alice. They have lost three children, namely;
John Morgan, born
September 28, 1869, died September 7, 1886; General Robert Lee, born November 28, 1885, died March 15, 1889; and an infant daughter, who died, when eight days old, March 4, 1872. Mr. Morgan and his family came to Arkansas in 1869, and settled in Independence County, at a place some ten miles south of his present residence, where they lived until the year 1881, when he moved to where he now is. He and his wife are members of the Free Will Baptist Church, and are earnest workers in the religious field.
Capt. J. M. Phelps, senior member of the firm of Phelps Bros., general merchandise, was born in McNairy County, Tenn., July 17, 1841. His father came to Arkansas when twelve years of age, and located at a point near Dardanelle, in Yell County. Four years later he went to Northwest Missouri, where he remained a year, and then came back to Randolph and Greene Counties. He entered into mercantile life at Gainesville; thence to Southern Missouri, and from there to Lawrence County, Ark., in the latter part of 1860. His son, Capt. James M., received only a common school education in Tennessee and Arkansas, but his natural aptitude made up for any loss in that direction. When war was announced he was a resident of this county, and first joined the Seventh Arkansas Infantry, Company F, in April, 1861, Joseph Martin, captain. He was discharged in February, 1862, and returned home, where he remained until Hindman's call for volunteers, and, in April, 1862, he was captured, after having raised a cavalry company in response. That entire summer was spent by him in prison at St. Louis, Chicago and Johnson's Island. In 1862 he was exchanged, and joined Tim Reeves' company of Missouri cavalry, and served with them until the spring of 1864, when he raised a cavalry company, which he commanded until he surrendered, June 6, 1865, Company F, Fourteenth Missouri Cavalry. At the close of the war he returned to Lawrence County, which has been his home ever since, and embarked in farming and merchandising. Later on he spent three or four years traveling through Texas and Mexico, and in the spring of 1876 came to Walnut Ridge and established the business of Z. Phelps & Sons (J. M. & A. C.). The firm continued under that head until the year 1880, when it was merged into Z. Phelps & Son (J. M.). The present firm of Phelps Bros., was started up in 1884, with J. M., A. C. and Z. C. Phelps as partners. They do a heavy business in general supplies, their transactions in 1888 amounting to $125,000, and are one of the largest firms in their line in the county. J. M., the eldest, has practically retired from active business. Capt. Phelps owns probably 1,500 acres of land, divided into several fine farms, and, in conjunction with his father and brother, has a great amount of other lands in Lawrence and adjoining counties. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, and the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of the Masonic order, belonging to Hugh DePayne Commandery at Little Rock; is a member also of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This year (1889) he was a delegate to the district conference at Corning. He is a Democrat in politics, and was mayor of Walnut Ridge for several years. In 1864 (February 18th) he was married to Miss Victoria Kinian, of Lawrence County, Ark., whose father, Henson Kinian, was a pioneer settler of Lawrence County. They have had one child, Virgil D., a little boy, who died in November, 1876, aged about nine years; and, having no other children of their own, the Captain and his wife are rearing a niece, Jessie Vinson.
Abram C. Phelps, of the firm of Phelps Bros.,
Walnut Ridge, general merchandise and supply house, was born in McNairy
County, Tenn., January 4, 1848. When six years of age he came to Northeastern
Arkansas, and has been reared principally in Lawrence County. He received
a somewhat limited education in his youth–a disadvantage which the majority
of our substantial men at the present day seem to overcome–and worked on
his farm until the year 1868. On March 7 of that year he was married to
Miss Sarah Fallin, who breathed her last ten months afterward. Mr. Phelps,
shortly after the death of his wife, traveled with his brother, J. M.,
through Texas, Mexico and the greater part of the western country. When
his trip had been finished he returned to Lawrence County, and in February,
1874, was united in wedlock to Miss Mattie Ammons. During that period he
went into business with his father, establishing the firm known as Z. &
A. C. Phelps, which he conducted for two years. The firm was then changed
to Z. Phelps & Sons, and has since continued under that name. In 1884
he sold out his interest in the business, and went to Fort Smith, where
he started a grocery, but one year later he returned to Walnut Ridge, and
entered actively into mercantile life at that point again, and now has
exclusive control of the firm's business. Besides his interests in the
firm, he owns 660 acres of land, 500 acres of which are under cultivation.
Mr. Phelps is a member of the Knights of Honor, and Blue Lodge, Chapter
and Council of Masonic fraternity, and also of the Methodist Episcopal
Church at Walnut Ridge, of which his wife is a regular attendant. They
have three children: Flora, Walter and Claude.
Zaccheus C. Phelps, a partner in the
house of Phelps Bros., well-known merchants of Walnut Ridge, was born in
Greene County, Ark., November 21, 1858. His early life was spent on a farm,
and, at the age of seventeen years, he entered the employ of his father
and brother, where he remained three years, obtaining a thorough knowledge
of mercantile affairs. Later on he formed a partnership with N. M. McCarroll,
under the firm name of McCarroll & Phelps, which was continued for
two years, when he bought out his partner's interest, and combined it with
A. C. Phelps & Bros. Mr. Phelps owns 240 acres of good land, and has
130 acres of it under cultivation. He is a Royal Arch Mason, also a member
of the Council, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife was Miss
Mattie Brinkerhoff, of Warrensburg, Mo., whom he married on September 15,
1889, and one child has been born to them, Otis B. Mrs. Phelps' father
is a minister of the Baptist denomination.
Claiborne Sullivan Pinnell, familiarly
known as Uncle “Claib” Pinnell, has been a resident of Northeast Arkansas
for about fifty-one years, or over half a century. He was born in what
was then called the “New Purchase” of Kentucky, October 27, 1817. His father
was Peter Pinnell, who removed to Franklin County, Mo., when the son was
an infant, and afterward settled in Greene County, Ark., at Crowley's Ridge,
where he remained until his death, in 1842, or thereabouts. His wife was
Miss Annie Sullivan, of Kentucky, whose parents, Claiborne Sullivan and
wife, nee Harvey, were South Carolinians. This couple were the parents
of nine children, C. S. Pinnell being the only one living, so far as known,
although his oldest brother, Louis, was living in the Choctaw Nation, I.
T., two or three years ago, at the age of eighty-two years. The mother
died in Lawrence County, on the Cache River, after the close of the war.
Claiborne S. Pinnell was reared on a farm, and as his father always lived
in a very new country, where schools were not to be found for love nor
money, and teachers were few and far between, his education, as a consequence,
was very limited. When nine years of age he met with a painful accident,
which has rendered him a cripple all his life; a colt ran away with him
one day, and, stepping into a hole, threw him off, breaking his right arm
and shoulder, which has prevented him from doing any hard labor ever since.
Notwithstanding this fact, he has been an active man all his life; following
the plow, farming and raising stock. He came to Lawrence County about thirty
years ago, and bought 160 acres on Village Creek, one and one-half miles
north of Walnut Ridge, and has made this his home ever since, besides [p.812]
owning another farm in this county, the two aggregating 240 acres. He has
hunted “bar” all over the State, and about twelve or fourteen years ago
he killed the largest panther that had ever been seen in that neighborhood,
measuring eleven feet from both tips. Mr. Pinnell has made a lengthy trip
to Oregon, and another to Texas, but looks upon Lawrence County as the
dearest spot on earth. He was married to Miss Minerva C. Rhea, a sister
of M. B. Rhea, and has had nine children. Four of them grew to maturity,
but all are now deceased, including the mother. His second wife was Mrs.
Amanda E. (Grayles) Moore, and has had no children by this lady, although
his wife has a daughter by her former husband. Mr. Pinnell is a member
of the Ravenden Springs Methodist Episcopal Church, as are his wife and
step-daughter, Mettie Isabelle. Grandfather Claiborne Sullivan married
his second wife in his ninety-eighth year, living two or three years afterward,
showing the remarkable vitality existing in the family. He was a noted
Baptist preacher in his time. Mr. Pinnell was an ardent hunter in his younger
days, and has made considerable money in killing wild game and selling
the hides and furs. He tanned the hide of the “painter” he killed some
years ago, and made a pair of shoes out of it, which were quite a curiosity,
on account of the associations connected with them.
Col. W. M. Ponder, farmer and proprietor
of saw-mill, was born in Hickman County, Tenn., October 12, 1823. His father
was Amos Ponder, of Georgia, one of the early settlers of Tennessee, moving
to that State in the year 1800, and subsequently to Southeast Missouri,
where he died, in 1868, in his seventy-fourth year. Col. Ponder's mother
was Miss Nancy Dudley, of Tennessee, in which State she met and was married
to his father. They were the parents of nine children, four of whom are
still living. Mrs. Ponder died in the year 1879, aged about seventy-two
years. The Colonel was reared on a farm in Tennessee, and received a somewhat
limited education in his boyhood days, on account of the scarcity of schools
in that section of the State. He applied himself to farm work until he
reached his twenty-fourth year, when his father then moved to Missouri.
Here he commenced farming and merchandising, and also dealing in produce
and stock, shipping the latter to the New Orleans market in flatboats.
He continued in this business some four or five years, and was then elected
clerk of the circuit, county and probate courts, of Ripley County, Mo.,
which office he filled creditably for six years. He was formerly assessor
for one or two terms in that county. After his term was finished in the
court, he began farming and milling on quite an extensive scale, and was
rapidly approaching the highest pinnacle of success in his business, when
the dreadful news of war came to his ears. He left his interests and enlisted
in the Ninth Regiment, Missouri State Guards, under Col. Lowe, of Gen,
Jeff Thompson's brigade. His first battle was at Fredericktown, Mo., where
he lost several relatives and friends in the fight. Subsequently he entered
the Confederate army, where his bravery and knowledge of the tactics of
war pushed him rapidly to the front, being promoted from sergeant through
the different grades to colonel. He held that rank and commanded the Seventh
Missouri Infantry in the Confederate army and served until the surrender
at Shreveport, La., about the 25th of June, 1865. After peace had been
declared he came to Arkansas and bought 200 acres of land, a couple of
miles from the present town of Walnut Ridge. He then went to work with
a vim and energy that were truly heroic, considering the fact that he was
bare-footed at the time, and did not even have so much as a bed or a chair
for his habitation. Two years later his perseverance began to tell, and
success was slowly but surely coming over the horizon of his adversity.
He commenced merchandising and farming, and in connection with these operated
saw-mills and a cotton-gin, and in 1873 he came to Walnut Ridge, and bought
some of the land on which the present town site is situated. He also laid
off the town of Doniphan, Mo., and was the first man to build a cabin,
and sold the first yard of calico in that place. He remained in Walnut
Ridge for ten years, and also laid off the town site of that place on his
arrival in 1873. He built the first residence in [p.813] Walnut Ridge,
and was instrumental in securing the location for the Eastern district
court-house, and also largely assisted in the erection of the Presbyterian
and Methodist Episcopal Churches. He is a member of the Masonic order and
is a Royal Arch Mason, and also the ruling elder of the Presbyterian Church.
The Colonel was first married, in 1846, to Miss Mary Kittrell, of Southeast
Missouri, and has had two children, one surviving, Nancy S., widow of Thomas
Minton, of Walnut Ridge. Mrs. Ponder died in April, 1856, and he afterward
married, in April, 1857, Miss Susan Hudspeth, of Missouri. Two children
were born to them, both of them dying since. His wife died in January,
1862, and he was again married, this time to Miss Mary Montgomery, of Virginia.
Six children were the result of this marriage, of whom five are living:
Andrew, Harry Lee, George W., Edgar F. and Susan. Col. Ponder increased
his farm of 200 acres to 2,600, and is also president of the Walnut Ridge
& Hoxie Street Car Company. He is one of the best known and most highly
respected citizens of Lawrence County; is a Democrat in politics, and in
1882-83 represented his county in the State legislature, and was county
judge in 1873-74.
Wilson Price, postmaster and a well-known
farmer and stock raiser of Taylor, was born in Union County, N. C., July
27, 1836. His parents are Valentine and Caroline (Hargett) Price, of the
same State, who, a few years after their marriage, first moved to Smith
County, Tenn., where they remained for three years, and in the fall of
1849 settled in Lawrence County, Ark., at a point near Smithville, where
they resided until the father's death, in 1864. Wilson Price was reared
and has lived in this county since his thirteenth year. He remained with
his parents until he attained his maturity, and then commenced in life
for himself. He was married in his twenty-second year, and located on a
farm near Smithville, where he cultivated the soil until he came to his
present residence, in 1876. Mr. Price has always been a man of industrious
and progressive habits, and it did not take him long to obtain a fair competence.
He bought land and added to his possessions whenever he saw a good chance
to invest, and now owns over 1,000 acres of the best land in Arkansas,
with some 300 acres of it cleared. The entire amount is comprised in four
tracts, and is all situated in Lawrence County. Mr. Price was married in
this county on January 7, 1858, to Miss Susan Ann Davis, a daughter of
Ross Davis, of Tennessee, but on October 11, 1879, this lady died, leaving
eight children to survive her: Sarah Ann, wife of John Bilberry; Nile A.,
George L., David P., Fillmore, Charles D., Philip V., and Lutz, a young
lady. Nile A. and George L. are both married. Mr. Price has also lost five
children, who died in early childhood. His second wife was a widow lady,
Mrs. Mary Steadman, whom he married in 1881, this lady dying in 1885, and
leaving one daughter, Hattie U. He married his present wife, who was formerly
Miss Nancy Rider, of Independence County, on July 3, 1887. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Price are members of the Baptist Church, in which the former is a
deacon, and they are deeply interested in all matters concerning its welfare.
In 1885 he established a general merchandise store, and by his methods
of doing business, soon built up a good patronage. A postoffice was opened
up in his place of business in April, 1886, and he was appointed postmaster,
having had charge of the office since then.
Greene E. Raney, a prosperous and well-known farmer of Smithville, Ark., was born in Lawrence County, near that town, September 20, 1850. He is a son of Morgan Raney, also a native of Arkansas, born March 18, 1818, and died in 1877. Samuel Raney, the grandfather of Greene E., was a Virginian by birth, who married and settled in Missouri, where he reared part of his family. His son, Morgan Raney, was the youngest of eight children, and was born in Arkansas, in which State he lived all his life, never having evinced any desire to go out of it. Morgan Raney was one of the most. industrious and able men of his day, and at the time of his death owned about 1,880 acres of fine land, with a good portion of it under cultivation. At the time of his decease he presented each of his children with $2,000 cash, and a fine farm, since which time the land has doubled in value. He was [p.814] married to Miss Nancy Taylor, of Lawrence County, Ark., ho was born in 1827, and died in the year 1867. meeting her death through a very painful accident while coming from church. They were the parents of seven children, all of them now dead, with the exception of Leah, wife of G. W. Brady, postmaster of Smithville, and Greene E. Raney. His second marriage was with Miss Elvira Janes, by whom he had two children, Loey G. and an infant, both deceased. Greene E. Raney was reared in this (Lawrence) County, and, like his father, prefers to remain on the soil of Arkansas all his life. He began farming for himself after his father's death, and the same energy that characterized the latter was part of his own spirit. as he has demonstrated by his present prosperity. His brother, John W., enlisted in the army, and was killed during the war, while he remained at home to assist his father, who needed his help. After the death of the elder Raney, he took charge of the entire estate. and has brought it up to its present proportions. He was married October 22, 1873. to Miss Sarah Jackson, of Sharp County. Ark., a daughter of Marcus Jackson, of Tennessee. Six children were born to them by this union; Lotta. Ernest and Joseph M., all of whom are living, and three others who died very young. Mr. and Mrs. Raney are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. South, and Mr. Raney is a Dem. in politics. He is a prominent man in all enterprises for the advancement and improvement of his county, and is one of the most liberal, open. hearted men in that section.
Moses Bolling Rhea is one of the oldest
settlers of Lawrence County. and has been here over fifty-four years. There
is only one citizen in the above county. C. S. Pinnell. who has been in
this section longer than Mr. Rhea. He was born in Warren County. Tenn.,
June 6, 1822. and is the son of Obadiah Rhea. of East Tennessee. who settled
in Arkansas about the year 1835, and located within fifteen miles of the
present town of Walnut Ridge, where he lived until his death, in 1855.
The wife of Obadiah Rhea was Miss Elizabeth Littlepage. of Tennessee. They
were the parents of ten children, six of whom are still living. Their names
are: Moses B., Thomas, a farmer of Greene County: Elizabeth, widow of James
G. Rutherford, residing near the old homestead: Nancy, wife of James Edward,
of Greensboro. Ark.; Mary, the wife of C. C. Grayson. of Greene County;
Emily, the wife of Allan Pierce, a resident of Cache Township. This is
indeed a remarkable showing for one family. Six of the ten children are
living, the oldest being sixty-eight years old and the youngest fifty-four
years. They have outlived every family who settled in Lawrence County,
at about the same time, and have more living members as a proof of their
longevity than any other of the early settlers. The mother of these children died at the age of seventy-two years, in 1871 or 1872. Moses B. was thirteen years of age when he first came to Lawrence County, but resided in Greene County, until his twenty-third year, before he settled on his present farm. seven miles east of Walnut Ridge. He has been a farmer all his life, and a very successful one, owning some 1,200 acres of land, of which 550 acres are under cultivation, and besides his lands. he owns considerable stock. His children have cause to remember him with gratitude, as he has presented each of them with a good farm. He first started in life for himself when twenty-two years of age, with nothing but a mare and colt. The meagerness of his worldly possessions, however, did not disturb him in the least. and it was not long before his industry secured for him almost all of the freighting between Cape Girardeau, Memphis, Powhatan. Jacksonport. Forest City and other points, and no doubt he has hauled more freight than any other man in Lawrence County. He fought under Price during the war, and was in that general's raids through Missouri and Kansas. Hard work never affects him apparently, and he keeps it up steadily on the farm. His principles were toward the Union at first, but he afterward changed to be a strong Southern man. In his early days he was a Whig, and mingled in polities considerably, but under no circumstances would he ever accept an office, although often urged to do so. He was married February 8, 1844. to Miss Sarah C. Lamb. of Alabama, whose parents. William and Mary (See) Lamb, were among the earlier [p.815] settlers of this county. She died in 1867, and Mr. Rhea was again married in 1868 to Clementine Seego. This wife died in 1869, and in 1870 he was married to Miss Mary Slavin, whose death occurred in 1871. His fourth wife was Miss Sarah Daily, who died in 1876, and his present wife is Miss Ruth Kinyon, who has lived in this county about thirty-eight years. Mr. Rhea is the father of sixteen children, only five of whom are living: Murcinda, wife of William Hennessee; John A., of Walnut Ridge; Flavius, married; Laura Daily, who lives near the homestead; James and William, who live at home.
John A. Rhea. proprietor of Walnut
Ridge livery stables, was born in Greene County, Ark., September 30, 1854,
and came to Lawrence County, when twelve years of age. He received but
a limited amount of schooling in his young days. and was reared on his
father's farm. On July 3, 1876, he was married to Miss Lizzie Cooper, a
daughter of Thomas and Ibbie (Willis) Cooper, early settlers of this county.
After his marriage he commenced farming for himself, but shortly afterward
gave up that occupation, and came to Lawrence County in the year 1877,
where he opened a hotel. Five years later he went into the business of
buying and selling horses, and then started a livery, which he has fostered
into a complete success. It is the only livery stable in the Eastern district
of Lawrence County, and commands quite a large trade. He also buys and
sells horses, and is the owner of a farm of 143 acres, of which 133 acres
are under cultivation. The bus line running between Walnut Ridge and Hoxie
is controlled by him, and he has the mail contract between those points.
In politics Mr. Rhea is a Democrat, and was the first town marshal of Walnut
Ridge. He has two children, Harry and Annie L.
Dr. J. V. Richardson, whose name is well known throughout Northeast Arkansas, was born in Spencer County, Ind., on the 8th of April, 1838. His parents were J. V. and Elizabeth (Everton) Richardson. of Kentucky and Indiana, respectively, who moved to Arkansas in 1844, and settled in Sharp County, where they lived until the year 1861. They then removed to Texas, but came back to Arkansas in 1866, and located in Fulton County, where the older Richardson still resides at the age of eighty-six years, his wife dying about the year 1870. Dr. Richardson came to this State with his father when a boy of eight years, and remained with him until he had reached his maturity. He then commenced the study of medicine in Jackson and Lawrence Counties, under the guidance of the then celebrated Dr. Hatfield, and in 1860 first began practicing in Jackson County. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate army as a private, but was shortly afterward promoted, and sent out on detached duty. He visited his home again in 1863, and in the spring of the following year rejoined his company, and served until his surrender at Jacksonport, in June, 1865. The Doctor fought in the battles at Little Rock, Independence (Mo.), Kansas City, Big Blue, Boonsboro (Ark.), and in Price's raids through Missouri. After the war was over he returned to Jackson County, and resumed his practice and farming until 1873, when he moved to Lawrence County, and located in the neighborhood of where he now resides. He continued in his profession up to 1879, when he built a store-room, and in 1880 began dealing in general merchandise. He has been very active in commercial life and farming since then, giving up his practice entirely, and has now built up a successful business, and is one of the leading merchants of that section. The Doctor was first married June 11, 1865, in Jackson County, to Miss Sarah A. Johnson, who died June 4, 1870. There were two children by this marriage: William D., who died in his twelfth year, and Mahala E., wife of William Beavers, of this county. He married his present wife in Jackson County, in 1875. The lady's name was formerly Miss Elizabeth Brackenridge, a daughter of James Brackenridge, one of the pioneers of Jackson County. There are four children by this marriage: Ada; Gilbert, Aggie and May. Dr. Richardson is a member of Thornburg Lodge No. 371, A. F. & A. M., and is Master of his lodge. He is also a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of Walnut Ridge Chapter, and has represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge on several occasions. He has served as Worshipful Master for six or seven years, and has a lodge-room over his store-room.
Hamilton W. Richey is a son of John
Richey, of Virginia, who moved to Indiana in his younger days, and married
Miss Polly Woods, of that State, locating in Gibson County, where Hamilton was born December 29, 1829. John Richey followed his occupation of farming in Indiana until the year 1844, when he removed to Arkansas, and settled in Lawrence County. He resided in that place, and reared his family, until the time of his death, in the fall of 1861, when he passed away, regretted by all who knew him. Up to the time of his decease Mr. Richey had been a survivor of the War of 1812, and was at Mobile, Ala., when the battle of New Orleans was fought. He was also a captain of militia during his residence in Indiana. Hamilton W. Richey came to Arkansas when in his fourteenth year, and is the oldest of three surviving sons, out of a family of eight who grew to maturity and had families of their own. He remained with his father until his twenty-third year, and was then united in marriage to Mrs. Sarah Ann Richey, December 12, 1852, the lady being a widow, and a native of Lawrence County. After their marriage they settled on a small farm in Flat Creek, and, in the spring of 1867, moved to their present home. Mr. Richey commenced clearing his land at once, and at the present time has almost 225 acres under cultivation. He owns altogether about 700 acres of land, on different tracts, a portion of it being cleared, and owes his present prosperity to his own enterprise, having but very little property when he first started in life. Mr. Richey is one of the substantial and progressive men to whom Lawrence County can point with pride, and by his industry and economy has placed himself upon a basis where others must look at him with admiration. In March, 1862, he enlisted in the Confederate army, becoming a member of the First Arkansas Battalion, and served until taken prisoner, at Port Hudson, July 8, 1863. The command was again re-organized the following fall, and then Mr. Richey held the rank of first lieutenant, and continued in that capacity until his surrender, at Jacksonport, Ark., where he was paroled in June, 1865. He had two children by his first wife, both of them deceased, and his wife also dying in 1857. He contracted a second marriage, his wife being Miss Mary Wayland, of Arkansas, who died in 1876, leaving six children: David H., John H. and Joseph W., while three others lived to maturity, and two married before their deaths occurred. Their names are Hamilton W., Sarah Ann M. and Amanda J. Mr. Richey was again married, his third wife being Miss Mattie E. Walker, of Gibson County, Tenn., and has had two children by this marriage, Nora May and Mattie Aoms. He was elected justice of the peace of his township, and, at the expiration of his first term, was reelected to a second term. Mr. Richey and his wife are both members of the Christian Church, and he is also a member of the Agricultural Wheel.
James P. Rogers, a well-known farmer
of Cache Township, was born in Middle Tennessee, March 10, 1847. He is
the son of John B. Rogers, a native of North Carolina, who settled in Tennessee
about the year 1846, and from there came to Arkansas and located on Black
River, eight miles or more east of Pocahontas, where he resided until his
death, two years later. His wife was Miss Ann S. Collier, of North Carolina,
a daughter of Henry Collier, who settled in Arkansas about the year 1850
and located on Black River, in Randolph County, in which place he purchased
half a section of land. He was one of the first settlers in that region
and lived there until his death, in 1855, or thereabouts. Mrs. Rogers is
still living and resides in Red River County, Tex., at the age of seventy
years. She is the mother of twelve children, seven of them living, whose
names are: James P. Rogers, Martha L., widow of William Sutton, a resident
of Red River County, Tex.; John C. and Henry C., twins, the former a resident
of Fort Worth, Tex., and the latter near Arkadelphia, Ark.; Mary E., the
wife of John W. Scoggin, of Red River County, Tex.; Senora, wife of Samuel
Daniels, and Robert Lee, also of Red River County, Tex. James P. Rogers
spent he earlier part of his life on a farm in Tennessee, and in his twenty-second
year went to [p.817] Sherman, Tex., where he worked as a carpenter. He
then traveled through the Indian Territory for a short time, after which
he undertook the business of freighting between Paul's Valley and Fort
Sill. His next trip was back to Texas, along the Red River, and after finding
a suitable location he commenced farming. He continued at various occupations
until the year 1871, when he came to Randolph County, Ark., and bought
120 acres of land, and on December 23, 1872, was married to Miss Ellen
E. Brooks, a daughter of Albert W. W. Brooks, who has the reputation of
being the wealthiest man in Randolph County, Ark. Mr. and Mrs Rogers then
came to Cache Township, in Lawrence County, and settled on a farm of 240
acres, of which 115 acres are in a good state of cultivation. He owns 440
acres more in two tracts of land in Randolph County. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers
are the parents of seven children, five of them living, whose names are
recorded as follows: John A., William H., Julia A., Magnolia, Mary Susan.
He is a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor, and a man held in high
Charles C. Rogers, attorney and county
examiner, was born in Madison County, Tenn., April 1, 1852. He is a son
of Hon. D. S. and Nancy G. (Taylor) Rogers, of North Carolina and Virginia,
respectively. After his marriage, the elder Rogers resided in Tennessee
for a number of years, where he farmed to a considerable extent, and for
twenty-five years was chairman of the county court of Madison County. In
his sixty-fifth year Mr. Rogers was admitted to the bar, but as he had
always declined to practice, his membership was conferred more as an honor.
Previous to the war he had been elected a member of the legislature, and
for almost twenty-five years, continuously, he held the office of justice
of the peace. His death occurred in the spring of 1886, leaving behind
him a name respected and honored wherever mentioned. Charles C. Rogers
grew to manhood on the farm in Tennessee. His facilities for attending
school in his youth were very meager, but, knowing the advantages of a
good education in order to make a success in life, he applied himself studiously
to his books at every opportunity, and now not only is he posted in the
common and higher English branches, but is also well versed in Greek and
Latin. After mastering his studies, Mr. Rogers taught school himself in
Tennessee for five terms, and for one term in Arkansas. In 1875 he commenced
the study of law at the Cumberland Law School, Lebanon, Tenn., and completed
his full course. He then located at Jackson, Tenn., and in 1881 was offered
the editorial chair of a newspaper in that city, which he occupied for
eight months, his work during that time attracting widespread attention.
In 1882 he moved to Powhatan, where he has resided ever since, and commenced
the practice of law. He has been successful from the very beginning, and
now ranks as one of the best lawyers in Northeast Arkansas. Mr. Rogers
was married to Mrs. Ella Croom, a charming widow, of Tennessee, who had
been the companion of his youth. Mrs. Rogers has one daughter by her former
marriage, and her union with Mr. Rogers has given them a son–Willie P.
Rogers. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South,
of which Mr. Rogers is steward. and the latter also holds the office of
county examiner, to which he was appointed in 1888.
Dr. D. B. Rudy, physician and surgeon, is
a man of whom it can be truly said that he has reached the top round in
his profession. He was born in Henderson County, Ky., December 24, 1851,
and is a son of William R. and Jane P. (Smith) Rudy, both of the same county
and State, the father being an extensive stock raiser and farmer. The Doctor
grew to manhood in Henderson County, and in his youth received the best
education to be had. He attended the high schools and also the Cairo Academy,
of Cairo, that county. and in 1871 commenced the study of medicine under
Dr. Samuel Furman, of Cairo, a noted physician of that period. He obtained
his first course of medical lectures at the University of Louisville, and
graduated in 1875. His first location was in McLean County, Ky., where
he practiced until the fall of 1876, and then moved to Sharp County, Ark.
In 1878 he left Sharp County and returned to the University to pursue his
studies still further, and graduated on March [p.818] 1, 1879. He then
came to Lawrence County, Ark., in May, 1879, and commenced practicing,
and is now looked upon as one of the leaders in the medical profession.
The Doctor was married at Smithville, Ark., to Miss Belle Henderson in
1880, who died seven years later, leaving three children. His second marriage
was to Miss Paralee Fortenberry, of Lawrence County, in 1888, and the result
of this happy union has been one child. The names of those children by
his first wife are Maud, Anna Belle and William B., and the child of his
last wife is James Frederick. The Doctor has built up a splendid practice,
and owns considerable property in Lawrence County. He is a very popular
man, owing it to both his skill as a physician and his personal magnetism.
He also devotes a portion of his attention to stock raising and farming,
and has been very successful in both, and is also a member of the Lawrence
County Medical Society.
Silas Ruffner, of Walnut Ridge, is
one of the oldest citizens of Lawrence County. He was born in New Madrid
County, Mo., in 1836, and is the same age as that of his adopted State–Arkansas.
His father was Elias Ruffner, of what is now Kanawha County, W. Va., who
was a farmer by occupation. The elder Ruffner moved from Virginia to Indiana,
and afterward to Illinois, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Texas. He came to Arkansas
in 1844, and located at Crowley's Ridge, in Poinsett County, and in 1857
removed to Texas, where he contracted pneumonia, and died the same year,
aged sixty years. He was married to Miss Nancy Phillips, of Virginia, and
had five children, four of them living in Lawrence County and one in Prairie
County. The mother is still living in the former county, at the age of
seventy-eight years, and has full possession of all her faculties. Silas
Ruffner was reared as a farmer, and had been in that business until within
the past three years. He has had but a limited education, but is a man
of strong will and a determination that overcomes all obstacles. He has
resided the greater portion of his life in Lawrence County, having come
here in the year 1850, and can recount a score of reminiscences of the
early days of this State. He first lived in Poinsett and Jackson Counties,
and remembers when Jacksonport, in the latter county, was merely a canebrake.
He can also remember when the Jackson port and Pocahontas country road
was opened, which covered a distance of sixty-two miles, and had but one
house upon it, which was called the “Stranger's Home,” as that was the
only place of accomodation on the entire road. In 1886 Mr. Ruffner established
himself in the merchandising business at Walnut Ridge, and has had very
fair success. He is a member of Walnut Ridge Lodge No. 19731, Knights of
Honor, and also a member of the town council. In 1862 he enlisted in Capt.
Henry's company, and served three and one-half years through the war. He
was discharged June 5, 1865, and held the rank of second lieutenant at
the time of his release. He has been married four times, two of his wives
having been sisters, and all four of them cousins. He has had eleven children
altogether, and seven of them are still living: Savannah (the wife of John
E. Johnson, of Walnut Ridge), Joseph and Nancy Owen (who reside in this
county), Williger (the wife of Edgar 'Neal, of the “Stranger's Home”),
Julia (the wife of Davis Ruffner, of this county), Henry, George and John.
He has married for the fifth time, his present wife having been Rachel
Upchurch. Mr. Ruffner is in splendid health, and has never taken a cupful
of medicine in the whole course of his existence, nor touched a drink of
whisky. In politics, he is a Democrat.
T. A. J. Runyan, M. D., one of Lawrence
County's popular citizens, and a physician of excellent reputation, was
born in Vermillion County, Ind., in the year 1829. He is a son of William
and Melinda (Murey) Runyan, of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively, who
were married in Tennessee, and moved to the State of Illinois, shortly
after. Dr. Runyan received his education from the district schools in his
earlier days, and later on at the Academy of Georgetown, Tenn. He commenced
the study of medicine in 1855, under the guidance of Dr. John L. Yarnell,
a celebrated physician in those day, and is now one of the leading men
in his profession. He also practiced five years under the care of an elder
brother, Dr. M. D. L. Runyan. While at Nashville [p.819] taking a course
of lectures, the Doctor had the misfortune to lose one of his eyes by erysipelas,
which caused him to give up his studies for a time. This, however, did
not deter him from mastering the intricacies of his chosen profession,
and in 1864 he resumed the study of medicine. He came to Arkansas in 1863,
and located in what is now Sharp County, and commenced building up his
practice within four miles of where he now resides. He is the oldest physician
residing in this part of the county, and, besides his profession, is the
owner of a large and very productive farm. He has upward of 200 acres under
cultivation, besides other lauds in various sections, all of which he has
accumulated by his own industry. The Doctor was practically penniless at the close of the war, and his present prosperity is a good evidence of his indomitable pluck and energy. He was married to Miss Mary A. Campbell, of Tennessee, and eight children have been given them to brighten the home, four of whom have died. The names of those living are: Ester Jane, wife of Henry Doyle; Martha M., wife of James M. Turner; William, and Josephine, wife of J. W. McLaughlin. The dead are: Marcus, an infant not named, Eliza Ann and Melinda. The Doctor is a member of Lodge No. 126 of the A. F. & A. M.