D  through G
 Rufus M. Dail. farmer and stock raiser, is a son of William and Nancy (Overton) Dail, natives of North Carolina and Virginia, respectively. William Dail moved to the State of Tennessee, and was there married when a young man. He settled on a farm in Anderson County, where Rufus was born, July 11, 1828. and remained there until his death, in 1877. at the age of eighty four years. He served in the War of 1812, and drew a pension for his heroic performances during that event. Rufus M. Dail grew to manhood on the farm, and remained with his father until that time. He was married in June, 1853. to Miss Christina Skaggs, of Knox County, Tenn., and settled on a farm with his wife, up to the year 1879. when he moved to Arkansas, and located in Randolph County. He remained at that place for six years. and had brought his farm up to the highest grade of perfection. when he sold out and came to Lawrence County, arriving here in 1886. He has resided here ever since, and cultivates the soil, farming. on an average, seventy acres annually. Mr. Dail was elected and served as justice of the peace in Anderson County, Tenn., for eight consecutive years, and was also elected deputy sheriff. in which capacity he served four years. He was an old time Whig originally, and since the war has become identified with the Democratic party. His family is composed of six children: Nancy J., wife of James Hill, of Lindseyville; Sarah Ann, single; Martha I., wife of Charles Basket; Naomi, wife of Thomas Howard, and Eden S. He has lost three other children: Leroy, who died at the age of twenty-five years; William R., who died in his twenty-fourth year, and James M., at the age of fourteen. Mr. and Mrs. Dail are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mr. Dail was formerly a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is highly respected, and his valuable advice and aid in all enterprises regarding the advancement of his community are very much appreciated.

 Greene P. Dean, an enterprising and prosperous farmer of Dent Township, was born in Lawrence County, in the year 1848. He is the son of William and Hettie (Roney) Dean, natives of Tennessee and Arkansas, respectively. His father settled in the latter State at the age of eighteen years, having started in life for himself at an early age, and established a good blacksmith trade, which he followed until the time of his death, in 1861. He was an active politician and a noted temperance worker in his day, and was a member of the society known as Sons of Temperance. He was one of the main pillars of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and also filled the office of justice of the peace for a number of years. The mother died in 1854. She was a descendant of one of the oldest families in Arkansas, and a lady universally loved for her many excellent qualities. This couple had nine children, seven of them living to maturity, since which time two have died. Mr. Greene P. Dean was the fourth child, and has grown right up with the county he resides in. He started in to learn his father's trade at the age of fifteen, and after his death he worked with Madison Smith, of this county, for three and one-half years. He is a self made man, and even during the busiest portion of his younger days found time to apply himself to his books. He hired himself out on a farm after leaving the blacksmith trade, and attended school for several years, and, in the fall of 1867, [p.786] turned tutor himself, and opened a private school. He met with splendid success, and continued his teaching until 1871. He also had charge of a school in Duty Township, this county, in 1877. Mr. Dean was married in December, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth T. Phillips, of Arkansas, whose parents came to that State from Tennessee, in 1849, and settled in Lawrence County. Mrs. Dean's grandparents were at one time the most extensive iron dealers in Tennessee, controlling several of the largest foundries in that State. Ten children were born to this couple: William A., Thomas Oscar, Nettie Oberia, Eugene D., Asa Belle, Francis Marion, Mary Edna, John Foster, Homer Lee and Ernest D. Mr. and Mrs. Dean are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mr. Dean of the Farmers' Alliance. He takes a deep interest in politics, and is a Democrat. The office of justice of the peace has been filled by him in Duty Township, and he has also occupied several local positions, besides being a director in the schools. Mr. Dean is one of Lawrence County's most influential and prosperous men. He has 300 acres under cultivation, and owns considerable other land in different sections.

William Deeter is a farmer of Lawrence County, and was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1831. His parents, Jacob and Elisabeth (Williams) Deeter, came from Ohio in 1839, and settled in Clay County, Ind., where his father cultivated the land, and also followed his occupation as a stonemason. They resided here until the father's death, in 1885, at the age of seventy-three years. Both parents were members of the Christian Church, in which faith the mother died in 1876 in her sixty sixth year. Mr. Deeter is the second of seven children, and grew to manhood in the State of Indiana, with the exception of a short time served in apprenticeship at the carriage and wagon making trade, in Ohio, when in his eighteenth year. On his return to Indiana he followed that trade until the war commenced, but for the greater part as a journeyman worker. He enlisted in the army July 15, 1862, and was a member of Company I, Eighty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving until 1865, when he received his discharge at Washington, D. C. Mr. Deeter did considerable guard duty in the army, and, after the battle of Chickamauga, was detailed for repair duty. He returned to Clay County, Ind., after the war had ended, and purchased a small farm, on which he lived until the fall of 1878. He then came to Arkansas and settled on the place he is now occupying, having cleared about 100 acres of the land with his own hands, and getting it under cultivation. Mr. Deeter's first marriage occurred in 1852 to Miss Mary E. Congleton, a young lady of Clay County, Ind., who died, a member of the Christian Church, on the 14th of March, 1863. By this marriage he was presented with three children, two of whom died in infancy. The one living is Martha I., now the wife of C. R. Moon, a resident of Wilton Springs, Mo. His second marriage took place in September, 1865, to Miss Catherine New-port, an Ohio lady, who is now the happy mother of nine children, namely: Elisabeth, wife of J. H. Still; Mathias, Henry, Clara, wife of Isaac Wells; Laura, Isaac, David J., Barton W., George W. Mr. Deeter and his wife are members of the Christian Church, of which he is the organizer. He is also an elder of that church, and a director of the schools, being a strong advocate of the latter. He is a man well appreciated for his good qualities, and is beloved by his flocks to whom he preaches regularly.
 Swan C. Dowell, dealer in drugs, books and stationery, Walnut Ridge, Ark. It is to the skill and science of the druggist that suffering humanity look for alleviation from pain. The physician may successfully diagnose, but it is the chemist who prepares the remedy. Mr. Dowell has been engaged in the above business since 1880, and in that time a trade has been built up second to no other drug house in the city. His birth occurred in Breckinridge County, Ky., on October 26, 1856, and he is the son of Christopher M. Dowell, also a native of the Blue Grass State, who came to Arkansas in February, 1867, and who located near Clover Bend, in Lawrence County, where he remained for four or five years. He first rented land, but afterwards bought 160 acres, and subsequently (in 1876) went to Minturn to live near his two [p.787] sons, J. T. and Swan, who were there in business, and there he passed the remainder of his days. He was a pioneer settler and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Ann Brandenburg, a native of Brandenburg, Ky., and the daughter of Solomon Brandenburg, who was a native of Hampshire County, West Va. To them were born five children, two now living– John Thomas, proprietor of an hotel in Minturn, on the Iron Mountain Railroad, and Swan C. (the subject of this sketch). The latter became familiar with the duties on the farm in early life, and received his education in the common schools. When fifteen years of age, he went to Clover Bend and engaged as a clerk for his cousin, J. H. Dowell, by whom, subsequently, he was promoted to book-keeper. Five years later he went to Minturn, and with his brother formed a partnership in a general store under the firm name of J. T. Dowell & Bro. In 1880 they dissolved partnership, and Swan C. came to Walnut Ridge, where he engaged in the rug business. He has been fairly successful in his calling, and for the last three years has been engaged in the real estate business with J. P. Coffin, of Powhatan, under the firm name of Coffin & Dowell, and they control about 2,500 acres of land for sale. Mr. Dowell individually owns 5,000 acres. He is a Democrat in politics, and at pres. present is mayor of the city. His marriage was consummated in 1878 to Miss Alice Wall, a native of St. Louis, Mo., and the daughter of William Wall (deceased). The fruits of this union were five children, Walter, Mamie, Agnes, Oliver and Alysius. Mrs. Dowell is a member of the Catholic Church.

 Andrew C. Estes, deputy sheriff for the Eastern District of Lawrence County, was born in O'Brien County, Ala., October 10, 1859. He is a son of Thomas and Elisabeth (Belcher) Estes, of Alabama, who settled in Arkansas, when their son Andrew C. was very young. They located in Carroll County, where they resided until the war, when the elder Estes enlisted in the Confederate army, and was killed near Smithville, Ark., during the latter part of that period. Four children were born to the parents, two of them still living. After the father's death, his wife removed to Lawrence County, and settled on a farm three miles west of Walnut Ridge, and lived there until the month of October, 1888, when she moved to Scott County, Mo., where she is at present residing. Mr. Andrew C. Estes was reared on a farm and received only an ordinary education in his boyhood. His avocation was farming until the year 1882, when. he was elected constable of Campbell Township. He served four years in this position, and was then appointed deputy sheriff for the Eastern District, in November, 1888, by C. A. Stewart, sheriff. That entire portion of Lawrence County, is now under his jurisdiction, and he fills the bill to perfection in every way. On November 20, 1861, Mr. Estes was united in marriage to Miss Amanda McGuinnis, of Illinois, and four children have been the result of this union: Elizabeth, Eliza Ann, Thomas Edward Jefferson and Maudie May. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Old Walnut Ridge, and in politics Mr. Estes is a Democrat.
 John T. Evans, farmer and stock raiser, of Black River Township, was born in Tippah County, Miss., June 23, 1837. He is a son of Thomas Jefferson and Miriam (Rainey) Evans, who, after their marriage, first moved to Fayette County, Tenn., and then to Tipton County, and on March 1, 1851, arrived at Batesville, Ark., where they settled on a farm. The elder Evans was a Union soldier during the war, and died at Batesville, Ark., while in the service, his two sons, John T. and David F., also belonging to the same regiment, although John first enlisted in the Confederate army. After joining the Union forces, John remained with them until his company disbanded, and then went to Illinois, where he resided until the war was over. When peace had once more been assured he returned to Arkansas and located in this (Lawrence) county. He first settled on a portion of land belonging to the railroad, but afterwards bought the tract of land upon which he now resides, and shortly after its purchase added forty acres more, having now about seventy acres under cultivation, with several substantial dwellings on the land. Mr. Evans has also given a great deal [p.788] of his attention to fruit growing, and can now boast of a splendid peach and apple orchard. After his marriage he started in life with very little, so far as worldly wealth was concerned, but being the possessor of a stout heart and a determined spirit, he soon lifted himself above want and now owns a fine farm, a comfortable home, and is looked upon as one of the best farmers in Lawrence County. He was married in Lawrence County, on May 3, 1868, to Mrs. Mary E. Craig, an amiable and pleasant widow, of Union County, N. C., who came to Arkansas with her father, Jason Hargett, in 1851, when a young girl of eighteen. Mrs. Evans has one daughter by her first marriage, Fannie C. Hargett, who is now the wife of William H. Leonard; and two children by her second  husband, Miriam Emmeline and John William. Miriam Emmeline is now the wife of Lewis H. Richey, who is a renter on Mr. Evans' place. They are the parents of one child, Fannie Ella. Mr. and Mrs. Evans are both members of the Christian Church.
  Hartwell B. Farmer is a son of Capt. John Farmer, of North Carolina, and Nancy Farmer, of the same State, who moved to Tennessee in the year 1829, and settled on a farm in Williamson County, where Hartwell was born on December 20, 1830. The father was a carpenter and wheel-wright, but also cultivated the soil. In the latter years of his life he moved to the State of Kentucky, and located in Graves County, where he died about 1862. He was a captain of militia, and a survivor of some of this country's earlier wars before his death. Hartwell B. remained with his father until his eighteenth year, but being fired with the ambition to make his own way in life, he started out with that worthy object in view, and located at Haywood County, in the western portion of Tennessee, where he learned the blacksmithing trade. By close application to his duty he soon became an expert, and thereafter followed that occupation for several years. In 1860 he moved to Lawrence County, Ark., and bought a tract of land, the same upon which he now resides. It comprises 120 acres of rich bottom land, and is situated two miles from Portia. He has cleared about sixty acres upon which stands a good double log house, also an orchard of 200 peach, apple, plum and pear trees, besides smaller fruits. Mr. Farmer enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1862, becoming a member of Col. Shaver's regiment of infantry, and served until his capture, on December 25, 1863, when he was taken prisoner to Rock Island, and held until near the close of the war. He was paroled June 5, 1865, at  Jacksonport, Ark. Mr. Farmer was first married, in 1852. to Miss Martha King, and has one daughter by this wife, Margaret Ann, wife of Hiram Corkins. He was married again, in Tennessee, to Miss Sallie Cook, and has two children by this marriage. Their names are Napoleon P. and Lee Thomas. Afterward he was married a third time to Miss Martha Ogden, a native of Lawrence County, and has had six children by this wife: Delilah P., Jennie B., Blunt H., Sarah E. L., Milton H. and Simon Cleveland. Mr. Farmer and his wife are both members of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which the former is a deacon, and also a member of the Masonic order since 1852. He is a Master Mason, and together with his wife is a member of the Eastern Star, a degree in Masonry. Mr. Farmer also served his county as justice of the peace for ten years, filling that office with a dignity that won for him the highest respect.

 Joseph Finley (deceased) was one of the oldest settlers in Lawrence County. He had recorded in the county clerk's office the first deed for land east of Black River, in this section of country. His native State was Kentucky, where he was born January 18, 1814. He came to Arkansas at a very early day, and located west of the river, on Strawberry Creek, and, in 1846, came over on the east side of the Black River. Mr. Finley was considered to be one of the best farmers in that portion of Arkansas, and when his death occurred had two splendid farms of 160 acres each. He was noted far and wide for his generosity and good-heartedness, and, at the time of his death, was mourned by not a few. Stock raising was also part of his business, and his knowledge as a breeder of cattle enabled him to make considerable money in that line. Mr. Finley's grave is on the home farm, three miles west of Walnut Ridge, a [p.789] place selected by himself for the repose of his ashes. In politics he was a Democrat, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Nancy (Childers) Stuart became his wife. Her parents were also among the earliest settlers of Arkansas, and had nine children besides berself, four of whom are living: Elizabeth (wife of William Shelton), living in Southern Texas; Amanda (wife of Rev. B. A. Morris. a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church), residing three miles west of Walnut Ridge; Joseph B., in Walnut Ridge, and L. D., residing near Portia. The mother died about the year 1854. and is buried near what is now “Ponder's Chapel,” three miles west of Walnut Ridge. Elizabeth, the wife of William Shelton, a resident of Southern Texas. is the youngest of the four children living. Joseph B. Finley was born in this county December 13, 1848. He has received but very little schooling, and has been farming all of his life, excepting at odd times when he clerked during the dull agricultural season. On January 12, 1871. he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Montgomery. of Tennessee, and this couple have been the parents of five children. of whom three are living: Ida, George and Orto. The wife and daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. South. In spite of the disadvantages he labored under. Joseph B. is now the owner of a farm four miles from Walnut Ridge. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, forty years of age. and hopes to live to see another Democratic president in power.
 Dr. S. L. Fisher was born in Lawrence County, Middle Tenn., May 30. 1836, and is the son of Fredrick Fisher. a native of North Carolina, whose wife was Elizabeth McWhirter before her marriage. She was a native of South Carolina. They were among the first settlers of Middle Tennessee, and the father was in the mercantile business for a number of years in that State. on Duck River. The establishment is still conducted under the name of the Fisher stand. After raising their family, Mr. and Mrs. Fisher moved to Harden County, West Tenn., where the mother died at the age of about fifty years; after this the family came to Arkansas. There were seven children in the family–John P., William G., H. P., C. J., A. M., M. E., and S. L. John P. died in Randolph County, Ark., W. G. died at Metropolis City, Ill.; A. M. died in Kentucky; C. J. died at La Crosse, Izard County, Ark., and H. P. died at Smithville, Lawrence County, Ark.; all between the ages of fifty and sixty, except A. M., at the age of sixteen. Only two are living, S. L. and Mary E., widow of Green Ruby. After coming to Arkansas, S. L. commenced the study of medicine under the guidance of his brother, John P., and entered upon the practice of his profession in 1857, being located the first two years in the wild mountains of Izard County, Ark., where panthers, bears, and other wild animals were numerous. Later, he moved to Randolph County and practiced his profession until the war commenced, when he enlisted in June, 1861, and served in Col. Lowe's regiment, Price's brigade, as assistant surgeon. He was wounded twice during the war, the last time being fiddled with a bomb-shell at Kansas City, on Price's raid. This ended his services in the war, and he returned home, and after recovering, came to Smithville, Lawrence County, where he resumed his practice, March, 1885. Here he has since remained. He was married November 15, 1886, to Miss Mary Ann McKnight, who was born in Lawrence County, Ark., in 1846, and died August 20, 1872. They were blessed with three children, all living; the eldest, Martha L., is the wife of J. N. Barnett (and they have two children); and Charlie F. and Gertrude are now grown. After the death of his first wife, Dr. Fisher lived single three years and three months. and was married to Miss Mary E. Barnett, October 10, 1875. They have two children, Ada L., twelve years old, and Myrtle A., two years old. The Doctor has been a member of the Masonic fraternity thirty-three years, having gone as high as the Royal Arch degree. Both wives were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and devoted Christians.
 Jesse P. Gibbens, farmer and stock raiser, of Spring River Township, was born in Rowan County, N. C., January 11, 1831. He is a son of John and Patsy (Winders) Gibbens, of the same State, who moved to the State of Tennessee, about the [p.790] year 1836, and settled in Shelby County, on a farm where they resided until 1846, and then changed their home for one in Lawrence County, Ark. Jesse P. Gibbens remained with his father, until he reached his majority, in this county, which was also about the time of the elder Gibbons' death, and then went back to Tennessee. After an absence of three years he returned, and was married in Lawrence County, in 1861, to Miss Mary J. Hamrich, of Tennessee, a daughter of John Hamrich. Mr. Gibbens had cleared up and improved his farm before his marriage, and he now owns 140 acres of valuable land, with over 100 acres ready for cultivation, besides having a small but select orchard and a comfortable house. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate army, and joined Col. Baber's regiment, serving until the final surrender. He took part in a number of sharp skirmishes at close quarters, and was always to the front in battle. He was paroled at Jacksonport, June 5, 1865, and returned home to his farm work and a more peaceful life. Mr. and Mrs. Gibbens have one daughter, the wife of F. Lee, a resident of Lawrence County. They are lovers of children, and have reared eight orphans to maturity, and started them in life with the exception of one. Both Mr. Gibbens and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and the former a member of Rock Cave Lodge No. 847, A. F. & A. M. They are well known for their benevolence and generosity, and are highly esteemed by their neighbors.

 Hon. John K. Gibson, attorney, and real estate dealer, Powhatan. This man, whose name is synonymous of success in his profession, was born in Richmond County, N. C., August 15, 1845. His parents were John K. and Elizabeth (Watson) Gibson, natives of the same State. Early in life Mr. Gibson began to show traces of what his future course would be through the world, and the occupation he would follow. He obtained a knowledge of men and things beyond his years, and even when a boy at school, often surprised his elders at the correctness of his ideas regarding different events and his knowledge of human nature. This talent he has fostered up to the present time, and it has stood him well in many a hard-fought battle before the bar. Mr. Gibson attained his maturity in North Carolina, and attended the common schools of his county. Subsequently, he went to the higher schools and academies of North and South Carolina, and for a period of three years later taught school himself. In 1867 he became a freshman in the University of North Carolina, at Chapel Hill, and in the fall of 1868 commenced reading law at that place under a well-known and prominent jurist of that State. He was admitted to the bar in 1869, and shortly afterward departed for Arkansas, where he first located at Jacksonport, unknown and unheralded. On the 15th of December, 1869, he left Jacksonport, and came to Powhatan, where he soon won the confidence of his fellow-citizens, and built up a fair practice. He has brought several cases to a successful issue in the Superior Court, and always given his personal at attention to his clients' grievances, not trusting them in the hands of subordinates. In connection with his law practice he is engaged in the real estate business, and has been highly successful in the latter, owning about 4,000 acres of land, besides holding the agency for an immense amount. Mr. Gibson has been elected to several local positions, and for a number of years was county superintendent of schools. He also held the office of county examiner for several years, and it is not only said, but is an established fact, that he has done more toward advancing the public school interests, and aiding the cause of education, than any other man in the county. In 1876 he was a candidate for and elected representative of his county, and served with distinction for two years. In 1873 Mr. Gibson was married to Miss Faunie Peebles, and after a short period of happy wedded life his wife died. He was again married in 1881, his second wife being Miss Lizzie M. Moore, a relative of J. M. Moore, the prominent Little Rock attorney. This union has given them three bright children: George M., Maggie M. and John K. Gibson, Jr., besides an infant, which the parents had the misfortune to lose. Mr. Gibson and his wife are members of the Old School Presbyterian Church, in which the former is a deacon. In summing up [p.791] Mr. Gibson's career, it would not be inappropriate to touch upon the causes of his success in life. As shown in this sketch, he began life with comparatively nothing, but has, by untiring energy and the strict application of business principles, coupled with the brilliancy of his mind, won for himself the eminent success he has achieved.
 John S. Gibson, attorney at law, one of the brightest of the legal talent in Lawrence County, was born in Fayetteville, N. C., October 12, 1857. He is a son of Green S. and Sarah (Evans) Gibson. Mr. Gibson received a common school education in his youth, and was a close student of every subject that came under his notice. He studied law with Chief Justice Pearson, of Richmond Hill, and was granted a license by the Supreme Court of North Carolina in 1879. He came to Arkansas immediately following, and was granted a license in that State in March, 1879, locating at Walnut Ridge. He has had very fair success as a lawyer, and can proudly point to the fact that he has won every suit brought to the court by him. When Mrs. Mary A. Boas came to Hoxie, he took charge of her business as manager, and March 9, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Annie Boas. He is a Democrat in politics, and was a delegate to the State convention that nominated Gov. Hughes. He resided in Colorado for eighteen months, and in the fall of 1888 delivered several speeches in behalf of the Democratic party in that State. Mr. Gibson was the first man to predict the election of Wade Hampton, if nominated, for governor of South Carolina. Mrs. Mary A. Boas at one time owned the land on which Hoxie now stands. The Iron Mountain Railroad was already here at that time, and she gave twenty acres to the company on which to build their side-tracks, depots, etc. The road runs about as near through the center of her 400 acre farm as it is possible to locate without measurement. Mrs. Boas has since then laid out the town site, and is selling the lots. This lady is a native of Alabama, whose parents were Henry and Sarah M. Stephens, the former from Georgia, and the latter a South Carolinian. She was reared in the city of New Orleans, and was there united to Henry Boas, December 27, 1864, a gentleman who had been engaged in railroading almost all of his life until he came to Moark, Ark., and opened up the railroad eating house at that place. Two years later he came to Walnut. Ridge, and established a very fine eating house, which was burned down in May, 1877. In the interval between the 10th of May (date of fire) and September 6, he had built and moved into the present eating house, which he conducted for three years and a half, and then retired from active life for about four years. September 20, 1883, he came to Hoxie, and erected the present hotel, which he operated until March, 1887. At this period the health of their youngest child, Harry, began to fail, and Mrs. Boas and her family made a visit to Colorado, where they remained eighteen months. Her oldest son, William Edgar, graduated from the Brothers' College, St. Louis, Mo., but died August 21, 1885, and she lost her husband in Panama, in September, 1886, where he had contracted malarial fever. Those of her children who are now living are: Anna E., wife of John S. Gibson, and Harry. There are two churches and a public school building in course of construction at Hoxie, the site of these improvements having been donated by Mrs. Boas, and the newly projected Walnut Ridge & Hoxie Street Railway Company is through her farm, as also the right of way for the Pocahontas & Hoxie Railroad. Mrs. Boas is widely known for her liberality and kindliness, and is held in high regard by all acquaintances.
 George W. Goodwin is the oldest of four children, and has resided in Lawrence County since his twelfth year. He is a native of Alabama and was born in 1839. His parents left Alabama in 1849 and came to Arkansas, where they settled in Independence County and cultivated the land for two years. In the fell of 1851 they removed to Lawrence County, and settled in the neighborhood of where Mr. Goodwin is now living. Here the father purchased an unimproved farm and commenced to model it into better shape, when death interrupted his labors in 1852, while yet in the meridian of life. The mother is still living at the age of seventy years and has never ceased to mourn the loss of her husband. Eight children were [p.792] born to them, of whom four are deceased, and the four remaining are George W., Mark, Peter, Emily, wife of D. A. Price. Those deceased are: Francis, Samuel, Pleasant, Mary E. Mr. Goodwin remained at home until the year 1862, and in March of that year entered the army under Capt. Sloan, of the Twenty-fifth Arkansas. He fought in all the battles in which the company participated when able to do duty, and was commended by his superiors for the bravery he displayed on several occasions. He was taken prisoner at Baldwin, Miss., in 1862, but was only held a short time and then released. He surrendered at Greensboro, N. C., in April, 1865, and when paroled, returned home and resumed his work on the farm. In 1870 he was married to Miss Leah Williams, of Arkansas, who was born and reared in this county, and who died March 1, 1878, at the age of thirty two years and eleven months. Their union was blessed with four children, one of them now deceased. Their names are James, Charles J., Absalom (deceased), and John L. Mr. Goodwin again contracted a marriage with Miss Martha B. Dawson, born in Independence County, and a daughter of I. F. Dawson, one of the representative farmers of this county. Three children were born to Mr. Goodwin and his second wife, namely: George F., Oas May and Lena. Mr. Goodwin is a member and the clerk of the Missionary Baptist Church, and has taken an active part in school work, having held several offices on the school board. He has taken one degree in Masonry, and is a leading spirit in the community, being held in high esteem by his fellow-townsmen and neighbors. He has upward of ninety acres of land under cultivation.

Mark Goodwin, a well-known farmer of Lawrence County, was born in Jefferson County, Ala., in 1843, and came to Arkansas with his parents, Wyche and Maria (Sharp) Goodwin, when very young. Mr. Goodwin has resided in Arkansas ever since, and on reaching his twenty second year he married and settled on the farm where he is at present living. He is a practical farmer, and thoroughly versed in the details of cotton ginning, which business he operates in conjunction with his brother, George Goodwin. They purchased a gin in 1887, and in the following year ginned 160 bales of cotton, with marked success. Mr. Goodwin at one time devoted his attention to cabinet making, but finding that his farm would claim all of his energies, he turned in that direction and has since followed the occupation of farmer. His first marriage was with Miss Frances Roney, of Arkansas, who died, leaving two children, Samuel and Laura, the latter now dead. His second wife was Miss Sarah Saffell, also a native of Arkansas, who shortly followed in the footsteps of his first wife, leaving one child, an infant, that did not survive her long. Mr. Goodwin was married in 1867 or 1868 to his present wife, Miss Margaret Williams, a daughter of Samuel Williams, a farmer and extensive stock dealer, of Lawrence County. The fruits of this union were eight children, six girls and two boys, whose names are: Ida, Joseph, Milton, Ella, Lena, Addie, Mandie, Nora, all of them living. Mr. Goodwin is a member of A. F. & A. M. Lodge No. 453, and also of the Missionary Baptist Church. He has creditably filled several offices on the school board and local positions, and is a man of great popularity in his vicinity.

 George Graff & Sons, wagon manufacturers, blacksmiths and repairers, Walnut Ridge. George Graff, who established the business in 1877, was born at Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, October 18, 1825. He learned the wagon trade in his native country and came to America in 1854, locating at St. Louis, where he established himself in business at the corner of Clayton and Manchester roads, remaining there twenty six years. Having been compelled to pay a big security debt, and being a heavy sufferer from fire, he was induced to settle in Arkansas, in the year 1877, when he bought 200 acres of land at Lindsay, five miles south of Walnut Ridge. Shortly afterward he came to the latter place and opened up his present business, while fortune seemed to smile on him once more. In 1879 he had seven men in his employ, and manufactured all kinds of wagons, and in 1880 he brought his oldest son, Benjamin F., into partnership, changing the firm name to George Graff & Son, which continued under [p.793] this head until the time of his death, January 7, 1888, when the other son, Fritz F., became a partner. The father, George Graff, was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and was buried in the Catholic cemetery at Little Rock, the services being conducted by Rev. Father Fitzgerald. His two sons have since carried on the business of wagon manufacturing, and have added an undertaking establishment to it. The father was married to Miss Anna Mary Graeber, also a native of Germany, ten children having been born to them. Six of them are still living, four boys and two girls: Josie M., wife of John J. Pace, of Las Vegas, N. M.; Fritz F., Jacob T., of Las Vegas; Benjamin F., Julius and Mary. The mother is now deceased. Benjamin F. Graff was married August 5, 1884, to Miss Ida F. Israel, of Walnut Ridge, and the couple have had two children: Ruby Archias and Bennie. Fritz F. was married October 19, 1884, to Miss Susie Kirsch, at Ravenden Springs, Ark. They have twin girls: Josie Ruby and Jessie Lee.

Back to Lawrence County page