THE STORY OF IMBODEN ARKANSAS
By Reta Covey
Published in The Times Dispatch
From the Lawrence County
Winter 1982 - Volume 5 -
CONTRIBUTORS OF INFORMATION FOR THIS ARTICLE
(Mrs. R. S.) Rainwater, R.S. Rainwater, Lucille
Polk (Mrs. J.O.)
Hall, Nettie Weir Stewart, Hope McKamey Sloan,
Roberta Starr Stephens, Joyce Duvall
Kell and Mrs. J.J. Matthews.
annual catalogue of Sloan-Hendrix Academy gave the following
sketch of the mother town. "Imboden is in the foothills of the
Ozark Mountains. The beautiful Spring
River, flowing near the Academy campus
and forming the north boundary of town, is swift, clear
and cool. The fertile
valleys and Lawrence County Historical Quarterly high hills
make it a place beautiful to look upon." The spring-fed river,
today, seems to encompass one of the
finest samplings of past era architecture
in Lawrence County. Many of the grande style homes tower
today as monuments to the style
and character of a town of considerable wealth
In the 1700's
a family of Imbodens emigrated to America from Switzerland
and settled in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The family consisted
of four brothers. They were in every sense of the word, true
pioneers, adventurous, brave and stately.
They spoke four languages fluently:
English, French, German and Italian. They were known to be a
family of close personal ties, strong
characteristics, integrity and extreme
The Imboden family
possessed a wonderlust that propelled them ever onward
to seek new horizons, new territory and a stubborn will to develope
the new territory to which they moved.
For half a century the family was content
with settlement in the valleys of Virginia.
After some time
in Virginia, the Imbodens seemed to branch out. Some
settled in Illinois,
some in Louisiana. Benjamin migrated to
Caledonia, Missouri and settled on
Cedar Creek in the mid-1820's. In 1828 he
moved with his family to the present site of the town of Imboden when
the land was a mere canebrake.
to the farm that Benjamin Imboden settled shows that a Frances
S. Pearce had the right to the first title. In 1830 Pearce
transferred that right to John Hynds
and the title was issued in Hynds' name.
In 1832 Hynds sold the land containing about 320 acres to Benjamin
Imboden for $1600.00.
had six children: Andrew, Benjamin, John H., Kate, Margaret
and Jane. At his father's death, Andrew became the administrator
of the estate. After Andrew died in
1855, the Commissioner sold the said land
to Benjamin and John H. for $4000.00 in 1859. Their six heirs deeded
the land to W. C. Sloan of Smithville
in 1882 just prior to the railroad
In 1883 the
railroad track was laid off and the engineers of the Kansas
City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railroad plotted the town. In 1884 a
building was erected and the first
place of business in the town was opened.
In just five years the town was a thriving and prosperous place.
Because of the
outstanding services which the Benjamin Imboden
family had rendered to the area in
the long period of their tenure (1828- 1882),
transforming it from a dense canebrake and bramble bushes to an
ideal setting for luxurious living,
and because of their sterling character
and forthright stand for all that was right and good, and since
it had been known as the Imboden place,
W.C. Sloan said that the town should
be named Imboden because no other name would be fitting or proper.
The family history
revealed that all the Imboden boys attended the Virginia
Military Institute of the University of Virginia and became
business and professional men of considerable
merit and fame. The men served
with distinction in the Revolutionary, Mexican and Civil Wars as
BLACKSMITH AND GRISTMILL
Necessary in the
formative years of all Lawrence County towns was a blacksmith.
In 1895 W.W. Herring moved his trade from Ravenden to Imboden.
When passing years noted decline in
the need for his skills, he operated a gristmill
in competition with Wash Goff.
officers from brigadier general
to the lesser rank of captain.
The ladies of the Imboden family were in their own right, equal in
every way to their noble brothers and
sires. It is said that their intellect,
business ability, generosity and grace of character is a proud
chapter written not in words but in
lives of gracious living, noble deeds
and kindly acts.
Jane Imboden was a woman possessed of strong points
of character and her lofty bearing
always inspired love and admiration.
She was gentle and generous - hearty
in her approval of
good, yet firm in condemnation of wrong. Keen in intellect,
discernment, her acts were all
in keeping with good judgment. Two surviving
descendants of this strong woman reside in Lawrence County
today: Irene Hatcher Miller and Virginia
of character of the Imboden family,
it is understandable
why the town had such a strong origin. Sloan Mercantile
Company, headed by
W.C. Sloan, O.C. James and Wm. Childress, was the
first business establishment.
The frame building south of the depot and
near the railroad track housed
the original store, constructed in late 1883.
In 1884 the Childress share was sold to M.F. Sloan, who operated
the business with his father and Mr.
In 1886 W.C.
Henderson moved from Smithville to Imboden, where he worked
for his uncle, W.C. Sloan. For ten years he was employed as
bookkeeper and salesman for the Sloan
Company. It was in 1896 that he bought
the J.H. Porter business and operated it until 1905 when he merged
with the Sloan-Wilson Company. In 1910
Mr. Henderson was forced to retire
due to impaired eyesight.
On April 7,1887,
a petition for incorporation was filed with Clay Sloan,
the County Clerk of Lawrence County. The following signers of the
document afford a good sampling of
the founding of names of Imboden: M.F. Sloan,
W.C. Henderson, F. Drake, Alexander Henderson, W.J. Hatcher, C.F.
Cirus, S.D. Jones, Joe Hufstedder,
A.G. Henderson, J.D. Craig, E. Sneshulk,
G.W. Carles, J.M. Johnson, Ben M. Clayton, Thomas W. Kell, Will
Childress, J.D. Kellenger, Thomas
Stratton, Robert Blair, A. Bratcher, J.R.
Sirus, J.C. Ketchum, George W. Hooper, Albert Pettyjohn, Eli
Huffsteddler and J.E. Dupwee.
During the January 1889 term of Lawrence
County court, the petitioners request
was granted. The town of Imboden began
its legal existence on April.
of Imboden were set to be the Southeast Quarter of
Section 15 and the West half of the
Southwest Quarter of Section 14 Township
18 Range 2 West. The legal description of the town included some
land area on the north side of Spring
River located in later formed
In the mid 1880's
Jim Datson and T.P. Chesser entered the mercantile business.
The Imboden Poat Office was housed in the frame building located
on Front Street east
of Main. This business was dissolved when it was
destroyed by fire in 1887. Mr.
Dotson then moved to Springdale and Mr. Chesser
ventured the timber business until his death in 1897.
When G. W. Hooper
built a brick building in 1886, mercantiles in Imboden
had grown from a single. venture. By 1887 five brick stores had
been constructed on one block front
extending from the Ketchum drugstore. Hooper
Tibbles, W.J. Hatcher, Oaks Thacker and W.C. Henderson
When the incorporation
petition was filed, it noted that there were three
general stores, two grocery stores, two saloons, one hotel, a livery
stable, a school house and a Catholic
Church. One of the two Imboden saloons
was actually located in Randolph County on the north
Spring River. A local physician,
Dr. Darr, was killed in the other saloon located
on Main Street in the building later known as housing the Mitchell
Drug Store. His death prompted the
townspeople to petition out saloons in 1895
for a very short time. In 1899, by formal vote, saloons were voted
McLeod's store now stands, Imboden's first hotel was the
Strawn, built in 1883 or 1884. Wm. Childers, father of County Judge
J.C. (Crock) Childers, was the
first proprietor. The trade soon out grew the
building and intrigued W.C. Sloan to furnish money to a man by name of
Gibson from Alabama to build the Delmonico
Hotel in 1885. At Mr. Gibson's
return to his home state, a Mr.
Kelley became the manager. At his death in 1886,
Mr. Childers succeeded to operation, remaining so till the latter
part of 1890. Some of the proprietors
during the 1890's were the England, Allan,
Burns and Hall families. In 1896 Mr. Sloan sold the hotel to J.L.
Polk of Sulphur Rock, who developed
a successful business. Within the walls,
the Delmonico Hotel silently held some of the town's history,
including the details of the fight
between two men in which one was brutally
One of the early
business establishments in Imboden was the drugstore built
by J.S. Ketchum who moved from Forrest City in 1884. He remained in
business until 1906 when he sold to
J.W. Mitchell. Sloan Rainwater bought the
stock in 1920. Another drugstore, stocked by a John Tanner, located in
1895. In 1899 he sold to John Maynard.
E.W. Hogan and Ruff B.owers each
owned the stock prior to 1903 when
G.W. Wells of Powhatan purchased the business,
retaining ownership until 1919 when R.S. Rainwater bought
In 1899 W.J.
Wilson moved from Ravenden to Imboden and became affiliated
with the Sloan Company, the first general store in town. The
name was changed to Sloan and Wilson.
The business was relocated in 1904 to
the corner of Front and Walnut Streets, where a large brick building
was erected. At this time, a merger
with the W.C. Henderson Company was made.
In 1910 Mr. Wilson became sole owner of the business, changing the
name to Wilson Mercantile Company.
After the death
of W. J. Wilson in 1914, his sons, A. T., T. J. and
Toll continued to build the business
until it became one of the largest in this
part of the country. However, during World War I years, they did a
large credit business. When the crisis
came, some of the creditors could
not and some would not pay. These
reverses, together with a fire in 1930, forced
the Wilsons out of business, terminating the first established
company in Imboden.
worked in the livery stables through the years, but an aged,
undated newspaper article named tenders at the Imboden Livery Stable
as: J.M. Clark, Will Neal and J.M.
Hill. Modern times and the automobile diminished
the need for the carriage - horse tending.
In 1904 H.J. Nemnich
moved from Walnut Ridge to Imboden and opened a bakery
shop. In 1912 he expanded his business to include groceries. In
1920 he moved to Mammoth Spring after
fire destroyed the furnishings and fixtures.
The Bake Shop "walls" were purchased by a Mr. Eaton who remodeled
and opened the Community Playhouse picture show which was owned
by the Sloan Hendrix Helpers Club.
A poultry and country
produce business was established by A.W. Lindsey who
moved to Imboden in 1906 to work for H.F. Sloan. His business venture
included coal, feed stuff and a new
A shoe repairman,
known as Uncle Fred Barkman, learned his trade in Germany.
He located in Imboden in 1906. It was most amusing to note that
an old newspaper article reported his
work to be satisfactory.
ventured from the standard mercantile and necessity shops
to operate optional services. Some who chose the options follow.
Amos Goff had, probably,
the only jewelry repair shop in Imboden in earlier
years. He operated the service in connection with a small grocery
store. Situated next to the Goff
business, was a cleaning and pressing shop
owned by Clarence Estes.
a photographer, had a studio located near his residence in
the northwest section of town. Early millinery shop owners included:
Cora Jones, Maggie Franks, Audrey and
Myrtle Herring, Mesdames F.C. Hulen, C.V.
Morgan and Cordia Starr.
When he moved
from Walden, Missouri in 1913 and started what was probably
the first restaurants in Imboden, J.L. Stewart remained a strong,
supportive citizen and businessman
in the town.
was possibly the earliest dealer in lumber and building
supplies. That firm was destroyed by fire in 1907. Also connected
with milling and timber business was
a J.R. Mitchell.
early history of Imboden, Mrs. R.S. Rainwater has a valuable
collection of documents, records, notes and
pictures. One such document
records in beautiful manuscript and legal terms a transaction
prior to the Civil War. Following are the contents of a slave
document from the estate
of Benjamin Imboden, a founder of the town of Imboden.
To all persons
to whom these presents shall come, I, Andrew H. Imboden of
the town of Powhatan in the County of Lawrence in the State of
Arkansas, as I am administrator of
the goods and estate which were of Benjamin
Imboden late of Lawrence County and State of Arkansas
situated in Imboden in 1888, the town noted a shift in
locating trade. One of the first operations to locate near the tracks
was a flour mill, established by a
Mr. Myers from Ohio. Frank Perrin operated
the mill for years after the founder returned to his native
aforesaid, deceased intestate,
Whereas by an
order of the Probate Court of Lawrence County Arkansas, made
at the January term A.D. 1853, last past, I, the said Andrew H.
Imboden was licensed and empowered
to sell the following slaves of the said
Benjamin Imboden hereinafter described and whereas I the said
Andrew H. Imboden having given
public notice of the intended sale by putting
up fifteen advertisements in the most public places in Lawrence
County twenty days before the day of
sale. Agreeably to the order and direction
of said court did on the 26th day of February instant pursuant
to the license and notice aforesaid,
sell by public auction the slaves of the
said Benjamin Imboden hereinafter described to John Bridges of
Lawrence County for the sum of two
thousand four hundred and twenty-five dollars,
he being the highest bidder therefor.
know that I the said Andrew H. Imboden by justice of the
power and authority in me vested as aforesaid and in consideration of
the aforesaid sum of two thousand four
hundred and twenty-five dollars to me
paid by the said John Bridges. The receipt whereof is
acknowledged, do hereby
grant, bargain, sell and convey unto the said John
Bridges and his heirs the following slaves-for life-to-wit: Thornton
aged about 38 years, Dilsea (his, Thornton's
wife), aged about 34, Rachel aged
about 6, Nelson aged about 4 years and Mary aged about 2 years, the
last three children of the said Dilsea.
To have and to hold the afore granted
slaves to the said John Bridges and his heirs to his and their use
and behoof forover and I the said Andrew
H. Imboden for myself and my heirs,
executors and administrators, do hereby covenant with the said John
Bridges, his heirs and assigns, that
in pursuance of the license aforesaid,
I gave notice of said sale. As above set forth in (blank)
whereof I the said Andrew H. Imboden
have hereunto set my hand and seal this
7th day of January in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred
and fifty four. Signed sealed
in presence of us, (G.P. Wesen) Notary.
W.H. Imboden, Sec. Administrator
of the Estate of Benjamin Imboden, Dec.
Matthews Store is
probably the oldest continued business operating in Imboden
today. B.F. Matthews moved from Denton in 1905 when he was
retained by Dave Davis as a bookkeeper
and clerk in a general merchandise store.
The venture expanded to the Davis-Matthews and Company, E. Homer,
Clarence Wells, and G.G. Guthrie incorporated
into the f'irm. Destroyed by Pire
in 1908, the business closed out in 1911. Mr. Matthews moved from
Imboden but returned in 1927 to establish
the existing Matthews General Store.
Modern times brought
a replacement for the carriage and horse as a means
of travel. The automobile was introduced to Imboden by a local
physician with much fanfare.
Seeing promise of probable success, Clay Henderson
and Cleo Hill opened the Ford Motor Company, the first automobile
dealership. O.H. McKamey operated the business until 1922 when
G. W. Bowers purchased it. Dot
Fortenberry and L.H. Kaiser bought the dealership
in 1925, and expanded the operation to include a "rest room"
and "eating place" called Cozy Inn
which was operated by the Melvin Holcombs.
In the winter
of 1923-24, the Chevrolet Motor Company was opened for business
with G.W. Bowers as the manager. In 1925 L.E. Williams bought the
business which he operated until his
death in a hunting accident.
School, church and
social organizations were led by the women, many who
worked in businesses of Imboden. Probably one of the most appreciated
was Myrtle Crouch, who, for many years,
served as the efficient central telephone
WATER AND LIGHTS
Unique at the time
in Lawrence County was the city water and light system developed by H.W.
Clopton, the first resident real estate agent in Imboden.
While attending the World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri in 1904,
he conceived the idea of furnishing
utility services to his hometown. On his
return, he began the erection of the necessary buildings to install
the plant. W.H. Vaughn of Memphis,
Tennessee joined the enterprise and assisted
with the setting of a water tank of 400 barrel capacity. Pipes
were then laid to the river and to
a few of the residences. However, this
part of the service was never put
It was in October
1905 that electric lights were installed in many of the
Imboden homes in the section of town referred to as Milltown. It was
the Morrison Brothers who rewired the
town and restored electricity in 1914
and 1915, with current being furnished from Walnut Ridge. Some years
later the Arkansas Missouri Power and
Light Company took the franchise and has
offered continued service since.
One of the most
prominent and efficient politicians in Lawrence County was
the first resident attorney in Imboden,
W.A. Cunningham, who located
there in 1905. He was born in 1866 in South Carolina, moving with
his family to Clover Bend in 1871.
At the age of eight he was left to assist
in provisions for his mother at his father's death. Upon his
mother's death in 1879, he was the
lone survivor of the William A. Cunningham
family. According to the McLeod history of Lawrence County,
during the passing years, the future
attorney attended summer schools at Clover
Bend when he could spare his time from farm work. In 1888 he was
granted a first grade license to teach.
While he was teaching school at Coffman
in the summer of 1890, he began to study law under the direction
of John K. Gibson of Powhatan. He boarded
and slept in the Gibson office for
a residence and walked the three miles to and from school daily. In
the August 1891 term of court, he was
admitted to the bar. Mr. Cunningham practiced
law with the Gibson firm until he withdrew to practice alone
when he moved to Walnut Ridge in 1900,
where he remained for five years. He
then moved to Imboden after a hasty move to Oklahoma.
In 1898 Mr. Cunningham
was elected as county and probate judge. His four years of
administration was one of the most
achieving in the history of our county. Among
the advancements for the area were inauguration of a system of road
districts under the road-tax law, replacement
of some bridges, the formation
of Boas and Richwood townships from the Campbell area. However,
the most significant benefit was
the construction of a new courthouse in Walnut
Ridge at an overall cost of $20,000. That three-story structure was
razed in 1964 to erect the existing
George G. Dent
was another prominent attorney in Imboden, where he practiced
in the early 1920's. He moved to California in 1926 where he
resided at the time of his death in
Two oil distributing
companies were located in Imboden at one time. Standard
Oil Company owned by O.F. Downing and Belford and Roe Oil
Company operated by W. I. Swink had
a vast distribution area within the county.
Today, the operations are still existent and remain as two of the
older continued businesses.
Mr. A.T. Hall came
to Arkansas from Virginia in 1894 and taught one term
of school at Smithville. In 1895 he moved to Imboden and became a
partner with J.T. Fisher and began
the publication of the Spring River News.
The first issue of the newspaper was published February 8,1895. W.J.
Bacon bought the Fisher interest in
1896, and became the sole owner in 1898.
E.W. Hodges purchased the rights in 1900 but moved to
years later, renaming the enterprise The Randolph
In 1903 Henry Phelps moved from Wynne
and began publication of the
Imboden Gazette. Other editors of the Gazette included J.L. McKamey,
Owen and Clauzell, Harvey Burgess,
J.T. Sullivan and Dr. Barnett. The paper
was discontinued in 1915. It was that year that Isaac Franks moved
from Salem and began publication of
the Imboden Journal. At his father's death
in 1924 Boyce Franks, assumed the editorship.
W.C. Yeager purchased
the company in 1926. Mr. J.O. Wasson was also editor for some
time. In more recent years the popular
Journal was owned and published by the
Stovalls, who sold the business but repurchased it and retained the
latest title of circulation, The Ozark
Banking in Imboden
was established by H.F. Sloan, the second son of W.C.
Sloan, when he moved from Smithville in 1896. The People's Bank was
organized with $10,000 paid and $25,000
authorized. W.C. Sloan was elected president.
The first directors were W.C. Sloan, J.S. Ketchum, W.A. Townsend,
G.W. Brady, and T.M. Duvall. When death claimed Mr. Sloan in
1902, W.J. Wilson succeeded
him as president with C.C. Bacon advancing to cashier.
Other presidents through the years were: T.J. Sherman, A.T.
Wilson, T.J. Wilson, Jim Peebles
and L.E. William. Edgar Chesser, J.A. Hill,
J.J. Sherman, Orval Rainwater, Marvic Henderson,
L.J. Kaiser, Jessie Hill,
Eula Cavitt, Bower Weir and Fred Coffman served as cashiers
and assistants through the years.
The first bank
was situated in an older building constructed in 1885. In
1903 a brick building was built for bank occupancy. When it was burned
in 1906, the stone front building,
known as the old bank building was constructed.
In early years,
Imboden attracted various professionals to locate to practice
their trades. It was, though unusual for the era, a negro by the
name of Simpson who opened the first
barber shop in the town about 1885. Because
of 18 years continued practice as a barber, App Davis may have
been the most easily recalled barber.
Joe McLeod, Harry Tatum, Joe Pickett and
Deck Crabtree were among his associates.
Deck Crabtree bought
the Davis Barber Shop in 1915 when Mr. Davis moved
from Imboden to Walnut Ridge where he died two years later. Mr.
Crabtree sold his shop more than once,
moving from his hometown. However, the
old timers were always sure that he was "like a cat, he'd come back
home." The first "beauty parlor" was
owned and operated by a Leona Smith. This
shop provided a luxury for the women of Imboden.
Even though the
nearest today is located in Pocahontas or Walnut Ridge,
Imboden has been most fortunate through the years in having
Dr. A.G. Henderson,
one of the town's earliest doctors, was born in Tennessee
in 1851 and moved to Arkansas in 1857 with his parents. A short
time before he graduated from Missouri
Medical College in 1876, he began the
practice of medicine in his adopted state. In 1877 he received a
degree from Bellvue Medical College
in New York. After graduation, he began
formal practice at Walnut Hill, a flourishing town at that time,
located in Randolph County between
Ravenden and Ravenden Springs. With the
exception of nine years, Dr. Henderson continued his profession in or
near Imboden, where he was an active
member of the Masonic Lodge, the Methodist
Church and the Medical Societies of Lawrence County and the
state of Arkansas. Dr. Henderson
often recalled the years of the Civil War,
in which conflict two of his brothers were sacrificed.
Because of his
determination to attend medical school, Dr. Henderson traveled
900 miles in Texas where he taught school for finance of his
chosen profession. The busiest decades
of his practice were experienced during
the saddle bag, horse and buggy days.
One of the most
noted physicians in the Northeast Arkansas area and parts
of Missouri was Dr. W.J. Hatcher, who was born in Williamson County,
Franklin, Tennessee on June 10,1851.
He was a member of the first graduating
class of Vanderbilt University Medical School, from which he
received a duplicate diploma with the
following noted attached: "the regular
form for the Department of Medicine of Vanderbilt University, is
in the course of preparation by the
artists of America. When the regular diploma
is received, it will be duly signed and sent to those who thus far
have the distinction of being the first
graduates of this Institution."
Dr. Hatcher left Tennessee
soon after graduation to seek his fortune in
Arkansas. After riding a distance of 300 miles, he located in Old
Jackson, two miles north of Imboden,
which was a thriving village at that time.
In November 1875 he was married to Miss Johnie Bridges, who was a
granddaughter of Imboden's founder,
Because of his natural gifts and skills in medicine, Dr. Hatcher
gained the confidence and respect of
his fellowman, not only as a
physician, but also as a leader
in public interests. His advice was sought from
as far north as West Plains, Missouri and as far south as Jonesboro,
Arkansas, which was a wide distance
of practice at that time. His death in 1904
ended a brilliant and rewarding career.
Dr. W.J. Hatcher could boast the honor of having two of his sons
follow his chosen profession, medicine.
Dr. J.O. Hatcher was born in 1878. Receiving
his early education at Imboden, he enrolled at the University of
Arkansas. After two years, he
entered Vanderbilt Medical School, as had his
father. At age 23 he graduated as an honor student from that
university in 1901. He returned
to Imboden to practice his early years in medicine.
In later years, he moved to Deming, New Mexico where he had a
successful practice including a staff
position of the Deming Hospital. His body
was returned to his hometown for burial after his death in his
adopted state, June 26,1931.
A second son, Dr. W. W. Hatcher, chose to devote his entire years
of practice in the area of Imboden
where he was born and also received his early
education in the elementary school and the Sloan Hendrix Academy in
1909, he graduated from Tennessee Medical
School. His practic extended for
38 years and included membership in the A.M.A., President of Lawrence
County Medical Society,
and President of the Northeast Arkansas
Medical Society. He served for 3
years as the Health Officer of Lawrence County.
Until his death in 1949, he was also engaged extensively in the
family livestock business.
doctors in the Imboden area included
Dr. J.C. Poindexter,
who was a graduate of the Louisvile, Kentucky, Hospital College
with the class of 1896. He taught school to pay his expenses at
Arkansas College at Batesville where
he received his early professional education.
To finance his completion of medical school, he practiced
medicine as an undergraduate at KingsVille,
Kentucky. With the exception of
several years spent at Conway, Pocahontas and Biggers, he practiced in
his,hometown. Many county physicians
practiced in their early years in
Imboden, including Doctors
Warren, Wells, Tibbles, Rudy, Lane, Kirkley,
Mitchell, Farish and Gregory, who was the last resident physician
and who also maintained a clinic.
The first dentist
to locate in Imboden was Dr. E.N.F. Sullivan moving there
from Calamine in 1905. He was the first resident of the town to own
a car. "Sparkey", as he was known by
his fellow towns folk, demonstrated the
`odd machine' as all citizens lined each side of tlie street for his
also of Calamine, located in Imboden in 1913. After practicing
dentistry a few years in his first location, he moved to
A graduate of
Tulane University in 1919, Dr. Edwin Dunn, practiced dentistry
in Imboden for many years. He was to be the town's last resident
On to The History of Imboden - Part Two
Back to Lawrence County
of the Benjamin Imboden Family