Flag of the New York 69th Irish Brigade.

From the files of Lou Ann Phillips Lunsford
December, 1998
If you have links or connections to any of these families, please contact Lou Ann.

 1   Thomas Francis Moore b: May 1845 in Abilace, County Queens, Ireland
d: February 12, 1922 in Sebastian Co., Washburn, AR
.  +Mrs. Martha Emaline Childers Garner (widow of James W. Garner)
 b: October 03, 1849 in Springfield, MO
d: December 26, 1940 in Sebastian Co., Ft. Smith, AR   m: September 02, 1879 in Logan Co. AR
...... 2   Janey M. Moore b: July 15, 1880 in Logan Co. AR
...... 2   Benjamin T. Moore b: February 26, 1883 in Logan Co. AR
...... 2   Charles Edward "Bud" Moore b: August 09, 1884 in Logan Co. AR     d: August 14, 1965
..........  +Della May Morgan b: February 14, 1884 d: February 12, 1964
.............. 3   Jessie Ella Moore b: October 06, 1916 in Washburn, Sebastian Co., AR     d: February 15, 1997 in Tulsa, OK.  Washburn Cemetery, Washburn, Sebastian     Co., AR
..................  +Arnold David Ryles          m: June 04, 1938 in Fort Smith, Sebastian Co., AR
......................  4   David Herman Ryles
......................  4   John Arnold Ryles
..............  *2nd Husband of Jessie Ella Moore:
..................  +Archie Roosevelt "Ted" Parks
......................  4   Tana Dianne Parks
...... 2   John R. Moore b: October 31, 1887 in Logan Co. AR
...... 2   William H. "Bill" Moore b: October 08, 1892 in Logan Co. AR
...... 2   Jesse Francis Moore b: June 09, 1896 in Logan Co. AR


This transcribed interview was a wealth of information on Thomas.  It opened many doors to my research that have been a joy to step through.  This interview also tells a story of his early life and shows the strength of character of the man himself.  Many thanks to Dell & Carolyn Nelson for sending me this information.  I would like to mention also that the picture that Thomas refers to in this interview, an old tin-type, hangs on the wall in our home.  It was given to me in 1967 by my grandmother, Hattie Emeline Shepherd Phillips,  she was the granddaughter of Thomas & Martha Moore.  Hattie Emeline Shepherd is not shown in the family outline because her mother was the daughter of James W. Garner & Martha E. Childers (her first marriage left her a widow).  Martha E. Childers married Thomas F. Moore before Hattie was born.

APPLICATION FOR PENSION - This application was taken at Washburn, Arkansas.  Sebastian County on May 15, 1917.  This information received from Dell Nelson, Fort Smith, Arkansas in September 1997.  From his files, from the original document furnished from the archives.


Case of Thomas F. Moore alias Tom Delaney                   No. 1417,096

     On this 15th day of May, 1917, at Washburn, County of Sebastian, State of Arkansas before me, T. Quinn Jones, a Special Examiner of the Bureau of Pensions, personally appeared Thomas F. Moore who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this special examination of aforesaid claim for pension, deposes and says:

I do not know my age.  My full and correct name is Thomas Francis Moore.  I am a farmer by occupation. My postoffice address is Washburn, Arkansas.

I do not know how old I am and there is no record of my birth that I know of and I have no relatives and no way to find out.  I do not know whether I was baptized in infancy.  I was born in County Queen, Ireland.  I believe they called the place Abilace.  I was just a baby when I left there and I know nothing about it.  Yes, sir, my parents were Catholics and I may have been baptized in infancy.  My parents landed in New York, but I do not know how long they stayed there but they then went to Montreal City and I was raised there mostly.  No, sir, I cannot tell what year my parents came to this country but it seems like I heard something like a rebellion in Ireland at that time over whiskey or something but I cannot remember about it.  I never heard them say what vessel they sailed on.  Mother's maiden name was Mary Purcell.  I do not know what year she died but I was a chunk of a boy, but was away from home at the time.  Father's full name was James Moore and he died in Montreal while I was in the army.  I think he died in 1864 and I know he was dead after I was discharged. I had one brother, Jim, and three sisters, Mary, Ellen and Catherine.  I do not know whether they are dead as I have never seen or heard from them since I left Montreal.  They were just children when I left home but I have never written to them or heard a word of any of them since I left and do not know whether they are married or living or dead.  I have not a solitary relative that I know anything about.  The only way I have had to figure my ages was from my ages as shown on my discharge.  I gave my age as 22 years when I enlisted and I gave it that way to beat my father as he did not want me to enlist.  Father said I was 18 when I enlisted and that is the only way I know.  The reason father told me that was because I was talking about enlisting and I told him I would run away and go and he said he would take me out.

Q}  What was your first enlistment and where did you enlist?

A}  In Co. B, 69th New York Inf.  I enlisted in New York City.

Q}  How much bounty did you get for that enlistment?

A}  I got $500 cash money when I first went in but I do not know where that bounty came from but they said it was government bounty.  Then I was to get $100 in three installments and I got one installment at Harts Island and then got another installment at the front.  I got two installments of $33  1/3 each but did not get the third installment.  They said the reason I did not get the 3rd installment was because the war was over.


Q}  When you went into that organization is it not a fact that you went as a substitute for some other man?

A}  No, sir, I did not, and remember, I swore an oath when I commenced this and I would not falsely swear for anything.

Q}  Is it not a fact that you had enlisted prior to your enlistment in Co. B 69th N.Y. and that you enlisted the first time under your right name, Thomas Moore?

A}  No sir, I was not in any service before I enlisted in the 69th N.Y. Inft.  The only time I ever enlisted or ever tried to enlist was in the 69th N.Y. and I never enlisted or tried to enlist under my true name, Thomas Moore.  You have read the record of the War Department relative to the Thomas Moore who enlisted in Co. B 2nd N.Y. Vet. Cavalry as a substitute and I can swear on a stack of Bibles that I was not that man and that that record does no refer to me.

I enlisted in Co. B 69th N. Y. Inft. in 1864, I do not know what month but it was sometime along late n the fall.  I enlisted under the name of Tom Delaney.  I did that because my father swore that I was not of age and that he would take me out.  I served all through under the name of Tom Delaney.  I had never been known by Tom Delaney before I enlisted in the 69th and as soon as I was paid off, I dropped the name of Delaney and was never known again by that name.

Q}  Now, look here, Mr. Moore, do you positively swear to your government that you did not first enlist as Thomas Moore and then desert and enlist in the 69th N.Y. under the name of Tom Delaney in order to get that nice fat bounty that they offered?

A}  Yes, sir, I do swear that such was not the case.  Never, sir, did I do such a thing.  I never did desert at any time.

Q}  If your military service was a clean slate why did you wait all the fifty years before applying for a pension?  Your own comrades think that strange.


A}  Well, I was running around so much after my service and I did not think of it until I had settled down here and in about 1874 a lawyer told me he would get a pension for me if I could swear that I was disabled, but I could not do that and never applied.  Then later some men told me that I could not get a pension or would have a hard time with it on account of my assumed name.  I finally came to the conclusion of putting in a claim and I came to this conclusion from talking with men and neighbors that I thought a lot of.  I have never filed a claim prior to the one now pending.

Q}  Where were you and what were you doing from 1860 to 1864?

A}  Well, I was just running around a rafting and different jobs and I would hear of a good paying job one place and get there and not find it so good and would go to another job.  Just before I enlisted I was running a boat, a skiff, ferrying people on the St. Lawrence River at Montreal.  I had not been running the ferry for two or three months, I reckon, before I enlisted but that is the reason I gave my occupation as boatman when I enlisted.  The first place I went after I quit the ferry was New York City and I had money enough to keep me going there for a little white.  I boarded at the Albion Hotel for a few weeks but did not work except a little over in Brooklyn in a tobacco factory.  No, when I first left the ferry I went to New York for a few days and then worked in Penna. on a section of the D & L Railroad and lived in a shanty on the railroad.  I do not remember my section foreman.  Then I went to the Albion Hotel.  I was working in the tobacco factory when I enlisted.  I changed my name to Delaney while in that factory four or five days before enlistment because I got word that my father was coming after me.  I got word through some boys and the idea came into my head to change my name.  I had run the ferry about three or four months, and just before that my father had me working here and there and he and I lived together, as mother was dead and the other children were raised by other families.  Father was just a laborer.  He never went into the army.  No, sir, my brother did not enlist.  Brother might have been in the army, but I do not know as he had not been home for a long time.  He was older than I.  Father was living and working in Montreal City and he and I had been sort of together until I went to New York City.  We were living on St. Paul's Street near the Boscow Market.  I do not know whether there was a ward.

Q}  The most difficult thing you are going to have to contend with is to furnish corroborative testimony as to your whereabouts and goings from 1860 to 1864.  Now, cannot you remember a single person that knew you all during that time?

A}  I remember a boy named Jim Hamilton and a boy named Casey and one named Ned Brizzel, Calmper, Jim Dougherty.  They were all boys, runabouts like myself, and knew me in Montreal.  I have never heard from those boys and do not know whether they are living.  None of them enlisted in the service that I know of as they were not old enough at the time.  Those are the only persons I could name.  Moore and Heath were the proprietors of the tobacco factory but the hands changed so rapidly that I cannot name any of my fellow workmen.  I was only there about a week.

Q}  Just exactly where in New York did you enlist in Co. B 69th and what was your reason for enlisting?

A}  I have forgotten, but I think it was at a little place called Yonkers.  I just enlisted to want to wander around.  I had no particular reason for wanting to enlist.  We were all put under guard the first day and the next day we were sent to Hart's Island and it was nearly a week after we got there until we got our uniforms.  There was a whole steamboat load of men went from Yonkers.  It was a week or ten days after we got to Hart's Island before we were sent to the front.  I joined my company right at the front.  That was pretty close to Hancock's Headquarters in front of Petterburg and Richmond.  I was assigned to Co. B.  I cannot think of the name of the Captain at that time.  I think he was killed but I do not know.  I do not know the name of the Captain we had.  There had been so much fighting and the officers changed so much that I do not remember their names well.  I know we had a Lieutenant Leddy.  I cannot remember the name of another one.


I think the orderly sergeant was named Owen Dugan.  I have forgotten whether he had two or three stripes on his arm.  Three, I think.  He was a tall man.  Ned Brizzeil (not the one who knew me in Montreal) was my tentmate and he was taken prisoner at Hatcher's Run.  That was during the first March after I went in, I think.  Jim Griffin was my other tentmate.  After we were paid off I was in their house in New York, but have not seen them since.  I have not seen a man that was in the regiment with me except a man named Clymy, who saw me in the service, but neither of us knew each other at the time.  No, he could not identify me positively.  I remember a man named Smith, one named Nugent, one named Leddy, and I believe that is about all.  They were in my company.  No sir, I did not remember Philipp Finister, Converse B. Hill or Julius Cohn.  I did not know Phillip Finister.  If he knew me as he swore to it might be correct because there were lots of men there, I guess, that knew me that I did not know.
     My regiment was organized in New York City and it was called the Irish Brigade.  I do not know when it was organized.  I was only in one battle and that was at Hatcher's Run.  I was on picket duty nearly all the time in front of Petersburg and Richmond.  My regiment was not in any other battles while I was there as the war was nearly over.  Yes, we had some skirmishes while we were advancing our picket lines at Hatcher's Run, but I do not know there was any particular names for the places.  We just called it Hatcher's Run.  Most of my picket duty was in the breastworks.  I do not know the name of the road the breastworks were on as it was jut near Hancock's Headquarters.  We then went on the Appomattox campaign after General Lee.  I believe we had a little fight near High Bridge and I believe we had a skirmish near Dinwiddie.  I do not remember any action at Skinner's farm.  I do not remember the fight on White Oak Ridge.  I do not remember the Sutherland Station affair.  I was at the Capture of Petersburg and I went through Arlington Heights.  I know we came through Richmond but that was about the only place I remember except Dinwiddie.  We camped and drilled at Arlington and then went through Baltimore and Philadelphia and landed at Castle Garden and were then sent to Hart's Island and I was mustered out there.  I was mustered out in 1865 just a little while after the surrender.
     When I enlisted Nugent was Colonel but after the Hatcher's Run fight I never saw him any more and Smith was Lieutenant Colonel and he became Colonel and remained so and signed out discharges on Hart's Island.  Mine got wet in my pocket and crumbled up.  Moroney was our Major at one time.  He was low set, heavy man, he was so ugly he looked like his face was disfigured.  I think he was killed but I do not know, but he was not with us when we came home.  I remember a corporal named Smith, Lt. Leddy was a man about 5 feet seven or eight, sort of slim looking, but I cannot remember whether he was smooth shaven.  I was talking to him just before we went into the battle and if I am not mistaken he was wounded at Hatcher's Run.  I do not remember any non-commissioned officer being wounded at Hatcher's Run.  Our color bearer was killed in that battle, but I cannot think of his name.  Yes, there were several others killed in my company but I do not remember their names as we had so many recruits filling up all the time.  I was on picket duty one night and Brizzell and Griffin were also on duty.  The rebels made a raid in on us then, but I was out after water and I did not get captured, but Brizzell and Griffin both got captured.  They took them on across to Richmond, I guess, and after Lee evacuated, both of them came back to us and were discharged the same day I was.  Neither of them got wounded and I did not ever get wounded in service and I was never sick a day in the service.  I think we heard that the rebels had captured 300 of our men that night.  That is what we heard, but there might not have been so many.  I do not know what officers were captured.


Q}  Now what about what McGrath said about either you or Griffin or Brizzell being a substitute.  Which was the substitute?

A}  I do not know, I thought that all were volunteers.  I know I was not a substitute and if Griffin or Brizzell was, I do not know it.

Q}  Have you now any marks or scars on your body by which you could be identified?

A}  No, sir, I have not.  I sent in a tintype of myself and family taken a long time ago and a photo of myself taken more recently.  I would like to have those photos returned.  I never did have a photo of myself when I was a soldier and the tintype with my family is the first picture I ever had taken.  When I enlisted, my hair was black and I had hazel eyes.  I was smooth faced and I think I was five feet, 5 1/2 inches tall.  After discharge I stayed in New York for a few months and then started to work myself along south and west.  I think I got to Arkansas in 1874 and prior to that I had worked a good many places.  I think Cleveland, Ohio was the first place I went to after I left New York and then I would work around a while at a whole lot of places.  No, sir, I was never married before I was married to my present wife and have never lived with any woman as her husband.  I was never inclined that way at all.  My first and only wife and I were married September 2, 1879 by F. J. Moore, a Justice of the Peace.  We were married at Paris, Arkansas and I show you a copy of the license and certificate of marriage.  Said copy bears the seal of the Logan County, Arkansas court.  Her maiden name was Martha Emaline Childers.  She had been married only one time prior to her marriage to me and that was to James W. Garner.  He died two years and six months before I was married to his widow, my present wife.  She was married to Garner in Pope County, Arkansas and the marriage was recorded [sic] in Dover, Arkansas, the county seat.  She was not quite 16 years of age when she married Garner.  He died at Ellsworth and is buried there.  He has no headstone.  He was a soldier in the Union Army.  I do not know his regiment, but he never drew a pension while she lived with him.  He had been previously married to Betty Johnson, I believe her name was Betty.  Garner and his wife, Betty, were separated during war times and I do not know whether she is living or whether she was ever divorced from Garner but she had three small children by him and the children were applying for a pension.  He told my wife that his marriage to Betty was never recorded and that the County Clerk told him he was free to marry as any man.  He never told my wife that he was divorced from Betty.  I know nothing about all this myself but this is just what my wife has now told me in your presence.
     I have employed Milo B. Stevens to help me with my pension claim.  I understood he was to get a $25, if my claim was allowed.  I have only paid out small fees for jurist and stamps, etc., but nothing to amount to anything.  I do not write my own name and where it is written without my crossmark it was done by the Squire who has helped me.  I never did write my own name.
     You have fully explained my rights and privileges to me and I do not care to be present in person or by attorney during the further special examination of my claim.

Q}  Were you ever in Kingston, New York before you enlisted in Co., B 69th New York Inft.?

A}  No, sir, I was never there in my life, and I was not drafted at all in 1863 or at any other time.

Q}  Now, is it not possible to give us some information by which



Notation made on this page top "End of page 14, and the end of the pages of which we have copies."
At the bottom of each page:  "Witness: [signed] J. R. Moore" and these words and mark:

Thomas F.    X     Moore


[typed verbatim from a copy of official report]
Eureka Springs, Ark.  May 22, 1917
The Honorable Commissioner of Pensions,
           Washington, D. C.



     I have the honor to return with report all papers in the claim for pension, Inc. O.1417,096 of Thomas F. Moore who alleges that he served under the name of Tom Delaney in Co. B, 69th New York.
     This claim was sent to the field for special investigation to determine whether the claimant is identical with the soldier of record, whether he rendered a prior service, and if so the amount of bounty received on second enlistment, and the correct date of his birth, if possible, all in accordance with instructions signed by the Chief of the Board of Review dated March 29, 1917, and made an exhibit in this report.  The case came to me for the initial examination.
     The claimant was served with the customary notice of special examination and his rights and privileges were fully explained to him and he waived them.
     While I did not make extensive inquiry as his general reputation for truth, I could learn nothing against him.  One of his sons is the postmaster at Washburn, and therefore inquiry at the post office would be of no avail.  I might say that my impression of the claimant and his wife and other members of the family that I saw was that they were very frank people, both about his pension claim and about other matters.  The old man told me before I started that his memory was getting a little rusty but that he would do the best he could in answering questions and while questioning and cross questioning him, he did not betray the slightest evidence either in his manner or in his facial expression that he was trying to deceive or conceal anything.  He is an illiterate man and does better than I expected for one as illiterate as he.  He frankly admits that he has no way to "get at" his age, and I myself was not able to get anything from him that would lead to positive proof of his age.  While I might have questioned him as to who he first voted for, etc., that would not have given much information.  He claims that he was born in Ireland of Catholic parentage birth, himself is a Presbyterian, and if there is any church record of his birth date it would likely be in Ireland, if he was baptized in infancy.
     I do not think there is much question but what the claimant is the man that rendered the service under the name of Tom Delaney and his personal description seems to fit the case.  I had no rule or other measure handy to measure his exact height but his man is about one inch shorter than the special examiner, head to head, and I am either 5 ft. 4-1/2 or 5 feet 5 inches tall.  He has gray or hazel eyes, is light complected, and his hair is now gray.  (cannot be told what color it was originally).  He has no marks or scars visible with his clothing on and he states that he has no marks or scars that are covered by his clothing.  He give a fairly straightforward and true statement as to his military history and as to events that are corroborated by the history but he is unable to remember the names of particular battles, but classes them all at Hatchers Run or near Hancock's Headquarters.  There is one thing about the man he apparently did not try to make believe he remembered anything or any events that he did not, although I tested him along that line, to test his honesty.
     Claimant denies with apparent honesty that he never enlisted or tried to enlist prior to his enlistment in Co. B, 69th N.Y.  He admits that he got $500 cash bounty on his enlistment in the 69th N.Y., and he also got two installments on a $100 bounty.  I take it for granted that his was U.S. bounty and that the $500 was local or state bounty.  He denies that he enlisted under a [sic] substitute, and his reasons for enlisting under an alias seem plausible as he had a "hard" father of whom he was afraid.
     He denies, when confronted by the record of the Thomas Moore whose personal description agrees somewhat with his, that the record refers to him(claimant).  While claimant admits that he got $500 bounty (and did not try to hide the fact) there is some possibility that he was a bounty jumper and that he is identical with the man who enlisted in Co. B, 2nd N.Y. Veteran Cavalry and that he jumped that service for the $500 bounty.  Again, on the other hand, Thomas Moore, is a very common Irish name, and the deserter's complexion is given as dark and his occupation is given as that of a farmer, while this claimant has a light complexion and before being told about the record he told me that his father had worked around Montreal all the time as a common laborer, that he (claimant) just worked around at different odd jobs in Montreal and had been running a ferry boat for a while before he enlisted.  There were probably a good many Irish from Canada that enlisted in the U.S. and as Thomas Moore is not an unusual name, it will be a hard matter to prove that claimant is identical with the deserter.
     It will be noted that claimant's statement is long and his statements are reiterated to a considerable extent.  I did this purposely.  I would question him and cross question him, then go on with something else and then start back with him again from the time he left Canada to see if he would tell the thing straight the second time.  His statements seem to agree fairly well.  While the man's manner was sincere, of course there is the possibility that he lied to me, but that will have to be proven at other places.  He states that his father died while he was in the army, and that he does not know whether his brother ever enlisted or not, and he can name no relatives who would know anything about him whatever.  He has given the names of some of the boys he remembers in Montreal, but has never heard or see a one of them since, and it is very doubtful whether any of them can be located at this late date.
     There is no one in my district who would have any personal knowledge of this claimant's service or doings prior to enlistment.  I did no think it necessary or worth while to see W.W. Clyma, BJ.15, as his information is only based on talks with claimant since he service and he was not in the same company or regiment as claimant.
     I recommend reference for further special examination as to identity and as to anything they may know as whether claimant had any prior service for the testimony of
     Philip Finister, list and B.J. 16,
          182 Snydam Street, Brooklyn, N.Y.
     Converse B. Hill, list
          536 Mass. Avenue, Boston, Mass.
     Julius Cohn, list
          R.R. No. 2, El Dorado Springs, Missouri.
                       Very respectfully,
//written signature of T. Quinn Jones//
Special Examiner.


[transcribed verbatim from a copy of a letter on official letterhead, as indicated]
January 30, 1917

Inv. Orig. 1417,096
Thomas F. Moore
Alias Tom Delaney
Co. B, 69th N.Y. Inf.

Chief,  Civil War Division

       The following brief sketch of the organization in which the claimant alleges service is taken from the Adjutant General's Report of New York,  "The Union Army", and other sources,  and its purpose is to aid the Special Examiners and Reviewers in determining whether the claimant and soldier are identical.

     (First Irish Brigade)

This regiment was organized at New York City from September, 1861, to November, 1861 for three years.
The regiment participated in the Siege of Petersburg from June 16, 1864 to April 2, 1865.
Occupied Fort Davis, Virginia, below Petersburg, October 26 - December 6, 1864.
Affair near Fort Davis October 30, 1864.  Capture Pickets 69 and 111th.
Skirmish near Fort Sedgwick, Virginia, November 6, 1864.
Reconnoissance to Hatchers Run December 8-9-, 1864.
Duty in the breastworks near Squirrel Level Road until March 29, 1865.
Action of Skinner's Farm March 25th.  (Repulsed three attacks and captured the enemy's entrenched picket line.)
Appomattox Campaign March 29 - April 9, 1865.
Action on White Oak Ridge, Virginia, March 30-31, 1865.


Charge at Sutherland Station and Capture of Petersburg, April 2, 1865.
Pursuit of the enemy April 3-9, 1865
Sailor's Creek, Dentonsville Road, April 6th, 1865 (Capture of train)
Three companies on duty as guard to captured train April 6-7-, 1865.
Robert Negent became Colonel of regiment the second time, October 30, 1864; he commanded brigade most of the time during 1865 and Lt. Col. James J. Smith commanded the regiment.
Richard Moroney became Major, December 1, 1864.
Michael Leddy was 2nd. Lt. from February 16, 1865.
James Smith, a corporal, was wounded March 25, 1865.
Edward Brazil or Brezell, was captured on picket, October 30, 1864 as were one commissioned officer, three acting lieutenants, and one hundred forty-one recruits, and twenty-three veterans of 69th.
James Griffin served in Company B from October 3, 1864 to June 30, 1865, not shown as captured, October 30, 1864.
Yours very respectfully,
(signed) F. D. By???????
Chief Clerk.

     In answer to questions asked in your letter of Nov. the 25th last.  I wrote to Phillip Finiston and Thomas McGrath and sent their answers in.  Now try the furthersome way.  I have no picture of myself of long ago.  Never had a picture taken but once and that was after I married and it's faded.
     I was born in Ireland.  My mother was Scotch, my father was Irish.  They moved to Canada to the City of Montreal.  I then lived with my father until 1863.  My mother had been dead sometime.  My brothers, John and Jim old then.  I was not a home in 1863 and had not been for years and they were all of the brothers I had at that time and no sisters.  My father's name was James Moore.
    I had two sisters maybe alive in 1850.  They was dead in 1860.  Catharine and Ellen.  Mother's maiden name was Mary Pursell.  My father lived on St. Paul Street Montreal Canada.  I can't be sure that it was 1863 or 1864 that I came to New York City, but I inlisted in 1864 in New York City.  My occupation was Boatman.
    After the war I remained in the United States drifted south until I got to Arkansas and married and remained.  I have not met one of my comrades since the war.  If I could see and talk with them I could refresh my memory as to incidents.  Colonel Newgent was Col. of the Regiment after when I enlisted.  Colonel Smith was Lieutenant Colonel of the Regiment.  I never saw Col. Newgent after the Hatchers Run Battle and after that Lieutenant Colonel Smith was Colonel until I was discharged.
Lieutenant Leddy was in the Battle at Hatchers Run and I think he was slightly wounded.  Corporal Smith was Corporal in Company B.  Corporal Smith was with the company before the Hatchers Run Battle.  Major Maroney was our major when I enlisted.  I was in the Battle of Hatchers Run.  General Lee retreated my regiment followed and I was with it until General Lee surrendered.  This is all of the Battles or skirmishes that I was in.  I was not sick not wounded and not injured.  In explanation to part of what I say as to date is I run away from home two times.  My father followed me the first time, caught me and taken me home and I seek an opportunity and left again.  Some months apart I canít say  at this late date what happened exact.  I get confused in dates often.  I threaten to leave home and go to the United States and join the army.  My Father said if I did he could get me out for I was only 18 years old.  I enlisted (saying) at the age of 22 and called myself Tom Delaney.

[Written by a Justice of the Peace, and signed by Thomas F. Moore with his mark.  Dated  28 December 1916.]

Back to the Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page

Lou Ann Lunsford